How Do I Change Pitch & not Notation

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

clarky clarke
Finale Version: 2008 PC
Operating System: Mac

Post by clarky clarke » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi Folks I've got an Eb Tuber part in Treble Cleff,I've scaned it and ajusted it OK .How do I transpose and lower the pitch,so the playback sounds like a Tuber without changing the staff notation.
In other words can I transpose the playback pitch without altering the notation so that I can read from a concert copy but listen in Eb
Thanks to anyone who replies to my post ,It's nice to be nice

mvoogt

Post by mvoogt » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:49 am

Hi there,

I've got a website and a tutorial that will help you with this:

http://thefinaleschool.com/xmlpages/stafftool.html

on that page check out the "Transposing Instruments" tutorial. That should help you. Also, if you have time let me know what you think of the site.

-Matt
The Finale School

clarky clarke
Finale Version: 2008 PC

Post by clarky clarke » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:51 pm

I wanted to scan a copy for Eb Tuber in treble clef in the key of C but I wanted the music playback in Eb two octaves down to play along with on the Tuber.
I scaned the copy and changed the key to Eb next I transposed down two octaves, I then changed the clef to bass.
Using Staff Attributes Eb treble clef up M6 + oct add 3 sharps .OK
Thanks to anyone who replies to my post ,It's nice to be nice

reitan

Post by reitan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:53 am

Hi!

I have a similar issue. Normal transposition is no problem but changing the octave of playback.

Case:

When writing a tuba part in bass-clef and later altering it to the key of Eb and treble clef, I have to transpose it up two octaves for it to be notated right. Then during playback it of course sounds two octaves too high.

Is it possible to make the playback of this specific staff to be two octaves lower than notated?

I thought of using two layers (or staffs) where one is notated right and muted and the other is in the right octave, but invisible. But I hope there is an easier way to do this.

I do most my writing for British style brass bands, where every instrument (except bass trombone) is in treble clef. So this would be very useful for also the trombones, baritones and euphoniums.

Hope some of you guys have had more luck with this issue and care to share :wink: Thanks in advance!!

- Christian

reitan

Post by reitan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Did some searching through the forum after I made the post and edited the 8vaB Expression's playback to be -24 instead of -12 and then unchecked "Show" afterwards. Happiness achieved! :D

If there are optional solutions to this, I'll be happy the hear them!

Best wishes!

Christian

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:48 pm

The general solution for making a non-transposing staff transposing is to

- enter the Concert Pitch in the staff while it's non-transposing,
- make the staff transposing with a staff style (or in the Staff Attributes)

In the dialog box "Staff Transpositions" you define the transposition.

To make a staff displaying the notes two octaves (= 14 steps) above Concert Pitch, choose these settings in the dialog box "Staff Transpositions":

Transposition: Key Signature - Other
Interval: 14
Key Alter: 0

In this particular case you might also want to select the option "Set to Clef", and choose the Treble Clef in the lower pane.
In that way the staff style (or Staff Attributes) will automatically change the Bass Clef to Treble Clef.
And the Treble Clef will automatically change to Bass Clef when you select "Display in Concert Pitch" (in the Document menu).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996