Entering smart shapes (8vb)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Carusoswi

Post by Carusoswi » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:55 pm

I have entered the notes in my score (voice, piano), have entered my slurs (no problem). I needed to enter some accents, no problem.

Now, I need to enter 8vb with a dashed bracket (if that's what you call it).

I first went to smart shapes, hit the 8va/vb button, clicked on then note, and 8vb showed up. I then tried to enter the bracket - but nothing would happen.

Then, I deleted the 8vb, tried to reenter, and nothing happens when I click over or near the note.

What am I doing wrong? I figured I had the hard part behind me when I completed entering the notes, slurs, text, etc.

I'm using Finale 2004 for Windows.

Advice most appreciated. I'd like to finish this.

Thanks.

Caruso

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:09 pm

Try this :
Smart Shape Tool
select the 8vb symbol
double click in the staff, hold the mouse down and drag to the right.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Carusoswi

Post by Carusoswi » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:15 pm

michelp wrote:Try this :
Smart Shape Tool
select the 8vb symbol
double click in the staff, hold the mouse down and drag to the right.
That was it. Thanks for the quick reply. I actually had figured it out on what was going to be my last try after breaking down and reading the manual.

It's been a while since I used Finale. Most of the basic stuff I remember, and I seem to remember roughly how to go about doing some of the less basic stuff (although most would call entering dashed lines, 8va/vb, etc. pretty basic.

If you could, clue me in on one more little trick. I want to show a natural sign in the score even though it is technically not necessary. The score is 'finished', so I'm changing the note from a natural without the sign to a natural that shows the sign - one of those areas where, as the music goes by, you might play the note as a flat instead of a natural because of the notation that precedes it.

The manual seems to go on at length about how to 'accidentally' raise and lower pitches with notation that adjust automatically, but I cannot find a way to insert a natural sing where it isn't technically needed.

Again, any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Caruso

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:58 pm

Select the note. Then, the P key will show the accidental in parentheses. Hitting the P again will remove the parends, but continue showing the accidental.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:25 pm

If all you need is to show/hide accidentals manually :
Speedy entry
place the cursor over the note
type *
The same key works to show or hide an accidental.

Letter P adds the parenthesis, if needed, as Miker explained.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua