multimeasure rest with go to coda sign at end

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

homebilly

Post by homebilly » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:18 pm

i have looked everywhere for the answer to no avail.

i want a To Coda (sign) at the end of an 8 measure MM rest.

what is the trick?

i don't want a 7 measure MM rest + 1 measure with To Coda
but the full 8 bars with the To Coda at the end

thanks

ron

peterqd
Finale Version: 26.3.1.520
Operating System: Windows

Post by peterqd » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:35 pm

homebilly wrote:i don't want a 7 measure MM rest + 1 measure with To Coda but the full 8 bars with the To Coda at the end
Ron, that's the only way to do it if you want to use the "To Coda" as a working repeat. The alternative is to create an expression "To Coda" and insert it in the FIRST measure of the MM rest, as all expressions and text repeats later in the MM rest will disappear in Page view.

homebilly

Post by homebilly » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:18 am

thanks peter

not good news. i am going to try an invisible measure. i read somewhere about somebody doing that for something else.

as i sequence in digital performer and make my mp3s there and do page layout in finale so i don't need the repeats to work in finale. i just need the part to look right for reading purposes with live musicians.

this is definitely something that i though finale would have no trouble doing.

thanks for your help. i'll keep you updated on my solution

ron

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:28 pm

I agree that this is an annoyance.
If I remember correctly, whenever it happened to me, I deleted the "to Coda" in the part, removed and recreated the 8 measures rest and recreated the "To Coda". In each part, not funny...
I haven't seen the problem in Finale 2010 yet, but I wouldn't bet it is not there.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

peterqd

Post by peterqd » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:50 pm

I looked more closely at this yesterday and while expressions inside MM rests don't display without breaking the group, text repeats do work as expected. The "To Coda" repeat doesn't break a MM rest group and appears in the right place, even though it's in the last measure. I did have to generate parts to see it however.

homebilly

Post by homebilly » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:42 pm

hi peter

i had done everything originally as a text repeat but that is when i ran into trouble. since i had already generated parts i am sure that this mad it continue as before.

i will give it a shot again and regenerate parts to see what happens

i found a workaround making it an expression and inserting it into the linked parts. it was good on the parts but wrong on the score but decided that i could fix the score after i printed my parts.

now this may solve my problems.

thanks so much

ron

peterqd

Post by peterqd » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:08 am

homebilly wrote:i could fix the score after i printed my parts.
Ron, nearly every piece I work on has a separate file for the score and another for the parts. It's a habit I started at least 10 years ago and, as I don't need to make alterations very often, I don't really need the benefit of Linked Parts. It is (allegedly) possible to do everything in one file by deliberately breaking links between score and parts and various other kludges, but I find it's a lot more work and very time-consuming, so I generally get the score right first and save it, then go on to adjust it for the parts and save under a different name.

homebilly

Post by homebilly » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:50 am

hi peter

i used to do the same until i started to use finale 09. i like linked parts as it does save me time. i just have to start getting used to getting the score correct before heading off to working on the parts.

i do a lot of experimenting in my groups so i always have changes after a rehearsal and have to go back and tweak anyway.

thanks so much for your help as at least i got the last problem solved without having to resort to writing it in by hand.

ron

nirvana14888

Post by nirvana14888 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:23 am

Thanks for the information. It was really very useful