Slow screen (update layout)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Pontus
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Pontus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:12 am

When moving around a score with the hand tool, the "score picture" is seriously lagging. When zooming in to just a few staffs thre is almost no lagging. I have a brand new Quad core (AMD) computer whith dedicated grafic card so I thought this update layout should be better than on my 10 years old i3 pc. I have had the same issue on all my computers, even in the stationary pc at work. I think the grafic card kick in only when playing demanding 3d-games (wich I don´t bother with) but my problem maybe has nothing to do with grafic cards?

So, has anybody any tip to speed up my grafics in finale? Setting the pc on "High prestanda" in the energy settings only helps a little.

Best
Pontus

Ps.
Happy owners of expensive mac-computer seem to have almost no problem at all with this lagging. They are faster computers but that much faster...?

dankreider
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by dankreider » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:03 pm

What graphics card do you have, specifically? I've found that, even for new and powerful machines, the standard graphics cards can sometimes be sub-par.

I think Finale is actually moderately demanding on graphics (at least compared to word processors and such).

I'm running an AMD FirePro 5100. Redraw and hand grab work beautifully.

Regards,
Dan
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly
General Editor at gracemusic.us

Pontus

Post by Pontus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks! Here are some specicications (probably not the best grafic card on the market):

Radeon Graphics R6 M340DX 2gb

AMD A10 6th generation
4 cpu + 6 gpu (up to 3,2GHz)
8 gb ram

BR
Pontus

Zoots

Post by Zoots » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:56 pm

How big is the score when you start noticing a problem. How many staves per page and how many pages?
Finale 25.5
SmartScore 64
JABB3
Windows 11

Pontus

Post by Pontus » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:33 pm

One part with 1 page and 10 staves works ok. A tiny bit shaky but it moves fast.

A score that fills up the screen is very hard to work with. Let´s say 15 staves that fills up the screen.

I suppose you could imagine how it looks lige if you set up 40 staves full of music and move it around. When you have moved the score to a certain place, the score follows bit by bit in a dizzy way and finaly stabilize.

I don´t think it matters if there is a large amount of pages outside the screen. Simply the less grafic the less problem. But it doesn´t ever moves perfectly smooth like for example a pdf-file.

Harpsi
Finale Version: 25

Post by Harpsi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:18 am

I take it that you are talking about page view. Is it the same in scroll view?

When in page view, do you get different results with different view modes, like single page/row/column etc.?
Finale 2014.5, Finale 25, Dorico 4, Musescore 4
Windows 11

Pontus

Post by Pontus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Well, Single page, row, scroll or page layout does not seem to matter. I have discussed the matter with make music support and they have found out that there is nothing wrong with my drivers or hardware setup. However, they said that Swedish operating systems are not compatible with Finale 25!! Duh... I have asked them about it, it seems absurd. I am running windows 10. Anyway I have always had this issue - Finale 2010 on lap top and stationary computer. Finale 25 on this computer and on my stationary computer at work - same lagging. Sometime, I don´t know why, it seems just as my computer is in a little better state of mind and the lagging is a tiny bit better but still... On my old lap top it had to do with overheating but my new computer is very cool.

Pontus

Post by Pontus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:06 pm

One basic thing just so there is no misunderstanding. When one moves around a window - any program that is above the desktop - there is no lagging at all. Totally smoothe - perfect. I think you get my point. In finale I don´t think it can´t be the same because the score within the program is not the same thing as a picture, pdf etc. My question is: When you move a score around, is it TOTALLY smoothe like I described above or is it just a little little bit shaky? I believe it is the latter and the problem must be that my computer doesn´t use its power in an adequate way... What do you think?

I´m very thankful for your help

Pontus

Harpsi
Finale Version: 25

Post by Harpsi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:07 pm

Hmm. I think MM will throw the "your nationality of Windows is not supported" card whenever there is something they cannot solve. Happened to me too and I am also on Swedish windows. Try to change your nationality and language settings to US English and see what happens. I doubt that it will solve the problem.

Btw, is it the same on all documents? What playback setup do you have? Someone also once mentioned that it sometimes might help to locate a single core to Finale, but that never helped me.

I just loaded a 200+ page document into fin 25 and I do not have any lagging at all when I just move around.
Finale 2014.5, Finale 25, Dorico 4, Musescore 4
Windows 11

Pontus

Post by Pontus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:59 pm

I will sit and try different things during the weekend and I'll get back to you about what
Happens. As I said, I appiciate your erforts to help me with this.

Zoots

Post by Zoots » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:50 am

I was Googling around to see if others have had similar problems and most of what I saw seems to be on Macs. I also noticed a post from you way back with Finale 2010 with the same problem and you'd just switched to an Intel i3 based computer and the problem still persists with it and to this day with various versions. Yet, there aren't many people reporting this as a major problem.

Makes me wonder about some thing related to something outside of Finale such as some application hogging the processor, etc. that you run on all your machines.

Are your Finale files created from scratch or are they result of scans that have been imported or imported via XML from another notation program?

I opened a file with 64 measures and 12 staves per page spread out over 3+ pages. It moves fairly smoothly with the hand tool but not if I move it slowly it isn't as smooth as slowly moving a Windows Explorer window. The hourglass and hand blink quickly when I'm moving it. Same as a 106 measure piece with about 6 staves per page. Dash lines also flicker quickly around the staves as it moves. This PC is an i7 but uses the built in Intel 4600 graphics on the CPU.
Finale 25.5
SmartScore 64
JABB3
Windows 11

Pontus

Post by Pontus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 pm

I have a stationary computer at work with the following specifications: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.2 GHz 3:19 GHz" 8 GB RAM." And some Intel HD Grafics, but I can´t find any more specifications about that. We are running Finale 2014,5 and the operating system Windows 10.

The lagging and updating is only a slightly bit better than on my own laptop that I have described. That makes you wonder...

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27

Post by montedoro44 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:14 am

I just stumbled in here bc I suddenly had what looks like the same problem -- some commands take a long time to finish, and the screen is very busy. These commands seem to be utilities and whatever plug-ins that involve lots of changes -- transpose, change pitches, et al.

But I nailed the culprit, even if I don't know exactly why it is the culprit -- I use two monitors, and I had switched out one of them -- an old, modest monitor, for a relatively new 28" Samsung monitor. Also, I use Windows 10, and my display adapter is GForce 710, I understand is also old tech.

Now I have removed the new monitor and replaced it with a smaller one, and it is business as usual for Finale -- fast mass changes, everything behaves well. Maybe the bigger monitor was using too much memory? My two successful monitors are actually two 24" Vizio TVs, 1080p, and I have no complaints about their performance as monitors. They are also old tech now, and I see them for sale as low as $100.