Playback won't start

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Musicrafter
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Musicrafter » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:44 pm

I installed Finale 2014.5 on my Windows 8.1 computer. It's a brand-new download, and I authorized it and everything (it's the 2nd copy -- my 1st copy works fine). When I go to start playback, it acts like it's playing, and it says "Playing..." at the bottom, but the green bar just stops at the first note and entirely doesn't even start playing. What can I do to fix it?

Stimme
Finale Version: Mac 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by Stimme » Sun May 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Sometimes you need to click on MIDI the change from play through audio to play through Midi. This always works for me if I get no sound in playback. However, the green line marker is usually working even then.

Hope this helps.

mahavishnu
Finale Version: 2014

Post by mahavishnu » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:52 pm

Hi,

I have a same problem here, I have tried "play through midi" and "play through VST" and nothing changes, please help!

mitchellc1
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by mitchellc1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:45 pm

I have the same issue. Also, on the Playback panel, the play, stop, rewind buttons suddenly do not show. I have tried switching between MIDI and VST playback. Audio works in other apps on my computer. I have tried restarting my computer.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:42 am

mitchellc1 wrote:… on the Playback panel, the play, stop, rewind buttons suddenly do not show …
According to your profile you are using Finale v25, right?

I do not (yet) have Finale v25, but here is a “wild guess”:

Have you tried removing the preferences files?

To do so (I’m guessing):

1. Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 25
The AppData directory is hidden by default, so you will have to set the option to display hidden files before you can see it in the Explorer.
2. Look for the "FINMIDI.ini" and "Finale.ini" files
3. Drag them to your desktop
4. Restart Finale and you will be set to go.

Once you see that Finale has been started successfully, you can delete the old INI files you dragged to your desktop.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

danylopez
Finale Version: 25

Post by danylopez » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:34 am

Hello Peter Thomsen,

I just tried your approach but didn't work, finale still showing the bar not moving, and not playing back, help! thx!

danylopez

Post by danylopez » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Hello, I am not sure what you mean by Giff, I installed the full finale 25 pack, how do I check for that Giff?

Also, in general, I am using Line 6 Gear Box in my PC at the same time as Finale25, and for some reason I get some interference sounds sometimes, like the sounds of an old radio when you where turning the knob from one station to another, and then both the Gear box and finale go mute. Then If I strum the guitar hardly then both Gear box and finalle can be heard again, like if I had "cleaned" the interference. I wonder if this has anything to do with my PC sound card or the RAM memory of my PC. Has anyone experience issues like this? They seem to be software/RAM/sound card related but would like to know if anyone has had this and how you've solved it.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:16 pm

Could this be a RewIre issue? Do you have any DAW software running when you launched Finale? Try making sure other audio apps are quit before launching Finale.

danylopez

Post by danylopez » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:31 pm

thank you for your suggestions, I will check on those.

In the meantime, does anyone know how I can activate the "repeat" feature in the playback controls? see, in one piece of music, I have the ability to select how many times I can repeat the playback, but in another piece the option is disabled (in gray) and I get a message "please select an option from 1 to 1" for the number of repeats. I am assuming there's a way to change this, right? my intention is to play some measures of the tune in a loop

thank you again for your kind support

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:48 pm

When repeats are applied properly, there should be no need to adjust this number in the playback settings. I would only use that setting if I was previewing a work and didn't want to have both times played.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

danylopez

Post by danylopez » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:44 am

Hello, I would like to play this in a loop, more in the playback controls than with repeat signs on the score itself, the strange thing is that the option is disabled in one file and it works in the other, does anyone have a clue on this? thx!

ticenogle
Finale Version: v25

Post by ticenogle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:29 pm

I have a similar problem - frozen playback - but only when I play through MIDI. Playing through VST works fine.
BTW, I tried the suggestion above and deleted FINMIDI.INI and FINALE.INI. Finale continually crashed upon startup. I restored the INI files and I'm back in business. Still no luck getting playback to work playing through MIDI.

Quick update: Upon restarting Finale 25 after an overnight rest (for Finale and me), playback works just fine. Could have been my outboard sound module just needed a reboot.

katiethecreator
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by katiethecreator » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:11 pm

I had the same problem (green playback bar would start and then immediately freeze at the first note). I found it was a simple fix: I was using the wrong audio driver to play back sound.

Always remember to ensure you have a designated driver folks ;)

MIDI/Audio > Device Setup > Audio Setup

Hope this helps! :D

RKElliott
Finale Version: 2014

Post by RKElliott » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:34 am

I was having the same problem (no playback and frozen green playback bar) that was driving me crazy. The fix had a slight variation so I thought I should share.

Tried to do "MIDI/Audio > Device Setup > Audio Setup" but "Audio Setup" was grayed out.

I noticed that "Reset ReWire" was NOT grayed out, so I chose that.

Got a pop-up warning that Finale would end if I clicked OK. I clicked OK and it ended.

Restarted Finale and it works fine. Audio Setup is now click-able and Reset ReWire is grayed out.

Just sharing in case anyone else finds this useful.

marshallrh
Finale Version: 14.5

Post by marshallrh » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Resetting ReWire worked for me. Audio Setup was disabled (grey) until I reset ReWire.
Annoying that I have to rummage around in the forums to find out this obscure diagnostic. Can't makemusic simply charge an extra $100 for a premium version that works out of the box?

roonleng
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by roonleng » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:44 am

Hello! I found something that worked for me.

I noticed when i hit the record button, it said something like "Finale can't record while in ReWire mode". So I figured out how to reset ReWire, by doing this:

MIDI/Audio -> Device Setup -> Reset Rewire

It forced me to close finale and when it opened, playback worked again.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

TDinDC

Post by TDinDC » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:56 pm

I am having the same problem. Neither VST nor MIDI plays. I have no Propellerhead nor Steinberg software so I haven't tried resetting ReWire. Could it affect Finale anyway? I've tried all the Audio Driver settings, and all three audio output devices (but not my USB headset.)

Windows 10 Pro; Finale 25