Playback of chord/rhythm notation for guitar

General Finale questions go here.

Moderators: miker, Peter Thomsen

Playback of chord/rhythm notation for guitar

Postby MMartin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:45 pm

Hi!

I just figured out how to give a guitar part rhythm notations instead of notes for a melody. Then I placed the chord symbols above it. My question is: Is there anyway I can fix the playback so that I hear the rhythm notation with the chords and not as a one note melody with chords? (the piano plays the chords over the rhythm but that's not what I want.) I hope that my question makes sense. In other words, I want to hear the guitar play chords with a specific rhythm, if that's at all possible.
MMartin

Re: Playback of chord/rhythm notation for guitar

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor

Postby miker » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:54 am

Go to the instrument list. If you expand the staff (first column) you will see that the chords are listed separately. Mute the layers with notes, and the chord will play back by themselves.
PrintMusic 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011; Finale 2010b, 2011b, 2012c, 2014
Mac OS 10.9, Windows 2000, Windows XP
miker

Postby MMartin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:44 am

Hi, Miker!

Well, I did what you said and hear the chords; however, I still don't hear the rhythms played with the chords. What I hear instead is a repetitive B with the chords. So, I'm assuming that the only way to hear chords played with actual rhythms is to write out the notes to the chords on the staff with the particular rhythm notation. Am I right? I was just trying to notate the score as if I were writing a jazz chart (one doesn't necessarily have to write out the chords entirely for these; you just write out the rhythms that you want the guitar or piano to do and then put the chords above it. Then the guitarist or pianist plays the chords with the specific rhythm written out.)

I learned in the past that this is best to do when one is not a guitarist; then the person that actually is one can do the voicing.

Sorry if I'm giving too much of an explanation of what I mean--I'm just trying to do my best in explaining what I mean! :)

I'll understand completely if Finale doesn't playback what I'm looking for.

Thanks for responding.
MMartin

Postby miker » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:53 am

Enter notes in the rhythm that you want the strums. Attach chords to the notes. Select the staff, and apply the staff style Rhythmic Notation. Mute the notes.

Is that what you need?

If not, can you post a picture of what you want?
PrintMusic 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011; Finale 2010b, 2011b, 2012c, 2014
Mac OS 10.9, Windows 2000, Windows XP
miker

Postby MMartin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:49 am

First of all, I tried sending you an example but I'm not able to copy the musical example (after numerous attempts). Maybe you can tell me how.

Also, I'm able to write the rhythm notation and the chords above it, but it's not playing back the way I'd like to hear it. And when I mute the notes, then I just get the chords without the specific rhythms. I'd like to hear the guitar play the chords with this rhythm--instead, I'm hearing the rhythms played as a one note melody and the piano playing the chords.

Maybe Finale isn't programmed to do playbacks like what I'd like. I'm just asking to see if it does. If not, then I'll try something else.

Thank you.
MMartin