No Sound on MIDI Input or Playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

altmanna2000

Post by altmanna2000 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:52 am

Hey,
I know, I know. This topic has been chewed to death, but I read all the forums (to my knowledge) and checked off all possibilities and still I can't get sound on playback. I can put notes into the staff through hyperscribe but there is no sound during input or playback.

Here is my gear and set-up:

Gear:
Radium Keyboard linked with one midi cable to Digidesign 002 and a USB cable to my MacBook Pro. Keyboard is set to USB POWER. Digidesign is linked to mac with firewire cable.

Audio/Midi Set up for Mac is working fine: When I press the test button, my keyboard makes sounds. I have the keyboard as a device and I have the 002 as a device. I linked the out put of the keyboard with a connection line to the first input port on the 002.

Here is what I have check in Finale Print 2010:
MIDI MENU:
Play Finale Through MIDI
Device Set-UP -> Midi Thru
Play as recorded

SPEEDY MENU:
Use Midi Device for Input
Playback

Now I've read a lot of Windows users posts and they seem to have options that I don't have on a mac, so I might be overlooking things.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:14 am

I suppose that you have checked the Midi configuration in the Mac, and that the routing is correct (check the ins, outs, probably 2 virtual cables). You don't say which sound source you are using (the sounds of the midi keyboard ?)
Also, try Midi thru->smart.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

altmanna2000

Post by altmanna2000 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:51 pm

Hey thanks for the fast response.
The keyboard I'm using is just a midi triggering device and has no sounds on its own. I was hoping I could use/trigger the sounds that are in Finale.

You are bringing up an interesting point with the two cables though: As my keyboard is only a triggering device, it doesn't have an midi in. The Midi Out 2 on my 002 controller is blinking on playback as its reading the notes on the staff. So somewhere in my setup the midi triggering is not finding the sound source its supposed to use.

Concerning:
Midi thru->smart

Seems like everybody in the forum has this smart option... :)
I can't find that anywhere. Under Device Set Up, I can just check Midi Thru.
No smart feature here...
Thanks

altmanna2000

Post by altmanna2000 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:56 pm

Update:
This might be of interest, or help: In the Finale mixer window, the volume gauge is being triggered by the notes on the staff, there is just no sound coming out.
Thx

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:04 pm

If your keyboard doesn't produce any sounds, I think you have to select in the Midi/Audio menu "Play Finale through Audio Units (or VST)" rather than "Play Finale through Midi" : you have a keyboard which sends Midi data though its Midi out port to Finale, but no reason to send Midi data from Finale to the keyboard's Midi in, as it does not produce any sound.
In this case, in Instrument set up ->AU or VST, you'll have to select one the installed virtual instruments (Garritan or the Finale's Make Music Smartmusic sofsynth). Then select your midi channels and in the instrument list window, define the same channels.

(PS : if you click the Midi thru menu item, you open a window which has 5 radio buttons, one of them is "Smart")
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

altmanna2000

Post by altmanna2000 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Yeah this worked.
Play Finale through Audio Units is the solution.
I hope this post helps other people with the same problem.
Thanks so much!