Import TIFF or PDF to Finale 2010!

General Finale questions go here.

Moderators: miker, Peter Thomsen

Import TIFF or PDF to Finale 2010!

Postby kokkolos » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Hello!
I'm using Finale 2010 for Mac OSX (SL).

How can I import a pdf/tiff score on Finale to edit it?

I tried to use SmartScore Lite (included in Finale) but it incourred in error (MusicXML can't be inizialized...after a windows that said atrouble about temp.xml ).

Can we help me?

Regards

THANKS
kokkolos

Re: Import TIFF or PDF to Finale 2010!

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor

Postby miker » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:57 pm

If it is a PDF created DIRECTLY from a music program, you can try PDFtoMusic Pro from http://store.recordare.com/pdftomusicpro.html

However, if what you have is a copy of a scan, it won't work. You could also try the demo version of SmartScore. People have reported that this program works better than the version packaged with Finale.
PrintMusic 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011; Finale 2010b, 2011b, 2012c, 2014
Mac OS 10.9, Windows 2000, Windows XP
miker

Postby Warren Barnett » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:07 pm

You can import a non-compressed .tiff file into Finale using the SmartScore feature, but it has to be an uncompressed .tiff file. The results are seldom worth the effort, unless it is a fairly simple document. Usually better to start from scratch, but it is usually worth a test to see what you get. You can always choose to abandon the scan and start a new document from scratch.

You don't import PDFs directly without a 3rd party program. If you have a PDF created from a scan, you might try re-scanning it to a .tiff, but then you end up with the issue that I describe above.

Warren
Last edited by Warren Barnett on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warren Barnett

Postby Marco Noia » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:15 am

Hy,
I'm having the same problem as kokkolos.
I reinstalled Finale and tried to let SmartScore Lite 5 recognize the demo score (Chorale) of the Pro version and it gives me the same two errors.
So the problem can't be the picture format.

Strangely there is also a 5 year old post about exactly the same problem.
http://www.finaleforum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3751&highlight=smartscore+templ. :roll:
So I wonder if anybody solved it in the meanwhile.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Finale 2010 (italian)
iMac 27' Core i5 - OsX 10.6.6 :wink:
Marco Noia

Postby Meiohmei » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:11 am

Hi
I started a post a couple of weeks ago with the exact same problem (see "scanning in music") as far as I know there is no work around other than starting from scratch. I asked the Finale Tech Team but got the answer to try scanning in tiff files but, as Mikey so rightly says, that doesn't give you any good results. The techies ignored the part of my question about why Finale shuts itself down when trying to scan in using the SmartScore so I am assuming that is something that can't be fixed. I guess we'll all have to wait until someone comes up with a better idea. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.
Cath
Meiohmei

Postby Marco Noia » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:50 am

Hy and thanks for you answer.

I tried the SmartScore Pro Demo and the PDFtoMusic Pro Demo:

1) SmartScore Pro works well allthough I'm working on scans of photocopies which aren't very clean.

2) PDFtoMusicPro works only with perfect PDF files. Very neat files which I converted from the tiff demos of SmartScore Pro don't work:
"The document cant be processed because it doesn't include any exploitable music data.
This PDF file has probably not been generated from a music notation software."
... but I would like to work on a scan from photocopies to make a piano reduction (for educational purposes).

So why does SmartScore Pro work and Lite doesn't? :?

Bye bye
Marco Noia

Postby miker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:47 pm

PDF to Music Pro is designed to read a PDF created directly from a music program, like Finale, printed directly to PDF. It recognizes the underlying music related data in the PDF document. It won't work on a scan of a piece, no matter how neat or well done.

SmartScore is designed for music OCR, so it will work on a scan.
PrintMusic 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011; Finale 2010b, 2011b, 2012c, 2014
Mac OS 10.9, Windows 2000, Windows XP
miker

Postby Marco Noia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Thank you all!
I'm in touch with Musitek. I'll let you now as soon as I have news.
Marco Noia