Forum upgrade

Give us your opinions on the new forums here.

Moderators: miker, Peter Thomsen

Post Reply
User avatar
motet
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005
Operating System: Windows

Forum upgrade

Post by motet » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:15 pm

There used to be links at the top for listing topics with unread postings, topics I've posted in, and "new" (i.e., recent) topics, now gone. This is how I navigated the forums. Can we have those back?

Re: Forum upgrade

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor
 

User avatar
Peter Thomsen
Posts: 5818
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:47 pm
Finale Version: Finale v26.1
Operating System: Mac

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:28 pm

motet wrote:
> There used to be links at the top for listing topics with unread postings,
> topics I've posted in, and "new" (i.e., recent) topics, now gone.
> This is how I navigated the forums. Can we have those back?

That stumped me, too, for a while.

Look in the upper left for a menu called “Quick links” - and you are “back in business”.

As Far As I Can Tell, all the options are still here; you just have to look for them.

Another difference:
The buttons for “Edit”, “Quote”, “Info” &c. are now icons (= no text, just a pictogram).
Mac OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra), Finale user since 1996

User avatar
motet
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by motet » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:26 pm

Thanks. "Quick links" are now a bit less quick, but I can live with it.

User avatar
motet
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by motet » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
> motet wrote:
> > There used to be links at the top for listing topics with unread postings,
> > topics I've posted in, and "new" (i.e., recent) topics, now gone.
> > This is how I navigated the forums. Can we have those back?
>
> That stumped me, too, for a while.
>
> Look in the upper left for a menu called “Quick links” - and you are “back in
> business”.
>
> As Far As I Can Tell, all the options are still here; you just have to look for them.
>
> Another difference:
> The buttons for “Edit”, “Quote”, “Info” &c. are now icons (= no text, just a
> pictogram).

The old quote was a little better than this, and it seems all the formatting stuff (italics, bold, URL, etc.) is gone. "BBCode is OFF" it says.

User avatar
zuill
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.1
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 pm

Yes. The quote feature is definitely inferior now. Awful, to be exact.

Zuill

P.S.: One of the reasons I have favored using this forum is due to its look. The look now is not as good to the eye. It seems a step backwards was taken. Quite a disappointment. And where is the option to save a draft of a post?
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

User avatar
zuill
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.1
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 pm

Another difference now is that, after I read a topic, and press the back button, it shows that it is still unread (most recent visit, of course). The "old" behavior was that that topic now showed as having been read. That is annoying, to me anyway. And I miss the Red color for unread. I guess I should get used to the blue as opposed to grey.

Funny: I just now see the option to save a draft. Hmm. Wasn't there a few minutes ago.

Zuill
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

User avatar
miker
Posts: 4430
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:28 pm
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by miker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:54 am

I’m not a fan of pictographs, either. Too old, I guess. I expect words.
Finale 26 | SmartScorePro X2
Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

User avatar
zuill
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.1
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by zuill » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:03 am

So, how bout the odd behavior of quoting a post? I hope that can be resolved. Font options, etc. are missing. I wonder if that is just temporary.

Zuill
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

User avatar
motet
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by motet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:09 am

Someone tried to use "Place inline" to put an attachment in the middle of their posting, and it didn't work, instead showing the "attachment" tag (in square brackets). Perhaps reinstating BBCode will fix that.

User avatar
zuill
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.1
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by zuill » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:39 am

Maybe a picture to quote a post? Since the inline option is broken, it will have to be a regular attachment at the bottom. Oh, I miss the old setup.

Zuill
Attachments
Forum Quote.png
Forum Quote.png (16.35 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

User avatar
FinaleForum
Site Admin
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:12 pm
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Mac

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by FinaleForum » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:41 pm

motet wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:30 pm
Peter Thomsen wrote:
> motet wrote:
> > There used to be links at the top for listing topics with unread postings,
> > topics I've posted in, and "new" (i.e., recent) topics, now gone.
> > This is how I navigated the forums. Can we have those back?
>
> That stumped me, too, for a while.
>
> Look in the upper left for a menu called “Quick links” - and you are “back in
> business”.
>
> As Far As I Can Tell, all the options are still here; you just have to look for them.
>
> Another difference:
> The buttons for “Edit”, “Quote”, “Info” &c. are now icons (= no text, just a
> pictogram).

The old quote was a little better than this, and it seems all the formatting stuff (italics, bold, URL, etc.) is gone. "BBCode is OFF" it says.
The quoting feature should be the same if you click the quotes button.

User avatar
motet
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by motet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:43 pm

Looks like you've enabled BBCode now so perhapsall will be well. Thanks!

User avatar
motet
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by motet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:44 pm

zuill wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 pm
Yes. The quote feature is definitely inferior now.
Looks like turning on BBCode fixed it.

User avatar
zuill
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.1
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by zuill » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:53 pm

motet wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:44 pm
zuill wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 pm
Yes. The quote feature is definitely inferior now.
Looks like turning on BBCode fixed it.
Good thing. What about the issue with attachments?

Zuill
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

User avatar
zuill
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.1
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by zuill » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:54 pm

motet wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:44 pm
zuill wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 pm
Yes. The quote feature is definitely inferior now.
Looks like turning on BBCode fixed it.
Good thing. I wonder if the attachment issue is also fixed?

Zuill
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

User avatar
motet
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by motet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Looks like it has:
0084.png
0084.png (40.49 KiB) Viewed 75 times
I like being able to drag the file from my computer into the posting box! Did that always work, or is it new?

User avatar
motet
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by motet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Just got this posting above
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.finaleforum.com:80. SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG
but it apparently posted anyway. So perhaps something's still not right.

User avatar
zuill
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.1
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by zuill » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:03 pm

My post was in triplicate. I was able to delete one of them. However, because you replied before I deleted the second, I got an error message saying posts that have been replied can't be deleted. So, I have a duplicate here that I can't remove. I think, eventually, they will get the bugs worked out.

Zuill
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

User avatar
zuill
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.1
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by zuill » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 pm

I get the same error message. By the time I saw what was happening, I had 3 posts the same.

Zuill
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

User avatar
zuill
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:35 pm
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.1
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by zuill » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Now the forum is reorganizing the order of posts. Very strange.

Zuill
Windows 7, Finale 2011-v26.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

User avatar
motet
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by motet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:09 pm

I wondered at the triplicates!

I also got the message responding to an email link pointing to a private message here. I tried alerting the administrator, but the message to him is lingering in the outbox, so perhaps this is affecting that as well.

Hopefully it will all be sorted out soon.

User avatar
motet
Posts: 3278
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 pm
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005
Operating System: Windows

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by motet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:10 pm

zuill wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:03 pm
My post was in triplicate. I was able to delete one of them. However, because you replied before I deleted the second, I got an error message saying posts that have been replied can't be deleted. So, I have a duplicate here that I can't remove.
I don't think it's necessary here, but when I've had second thoughts in that situation, I've edited the post and replaced everything with a minus sign or a dot.

User avatar
FinaleForum
Site Admin
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:12 pm
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Mac

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by FinaleForum » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:14 pm

zuill wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 pm
P.S.: One of the reasons I have favored using this forum is due to its look. The look now is not as good to the eye. It seems a step backwards was taken. Quite a disappointment. And where is the option to save a draft of a post?
Anyone can choose the template they wish to use.

1. Click the arrow next to your username in the top bar.
2. Select User Control Panel.
3. Select Board Preferences.
4. Choose between "prosilver" and "Flat Style Blue." (Choosing "Flat Style" will offer orange icons.)

User avatar
miker
Posts: 4430
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:28 pm
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by miker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:56 pm

I just posted a response with an attachment; no problems.
Finale 26 | SmartScorePro X2
Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Post Reply