Stretching Beam and hiding rests

Give us your opinions on the new forums here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Manini
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Mac

Post by Manini » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Dear friends,
Could you help me out with an emergency question please.

I have Finale 2012 for Mac OS HIgh Sierra.

I would like to manually drag/prolong the beams of quaver notes, as i show on the lower image /attachment below. And it works, BUT the problem is (as shown in the upper image):

1- when i hide the quaver rest that follows belonging to the quaver note, the beam goes back and turns into standard quaver style.
2- If first comes the quaver rest, and then the quaver note, the beam turns backwards, towards the rest, and the beam still doesnt work if i hide the rest.
How can I solve this?

Thank you so much for your help
Attachments
Problem.png
Problem.png (11.34 KiB) Viewed 11303 times
Correct.png
Correct.png (205.36 KiB) Viewed 11303 times

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 pm

I think the answer is to go to Plug-ins > Note, Beam, and Rest Editing > Move Rests… and then to apply some large number eg 200. This should move the rests vertically right off the page, to become in effect invisible but without the result you get from hiding them. You can restore the rests to their normal position via the JW Change Plug-in if you choose Rests > Placement Style > Floating (+ Clear Displacement).

As I understand things, Finale 2012 doesn’t work very well on High Sierra. You should probably upgrade to Finale 25, although that has nothing to do with this particular problem.

Since you e-mailed me directly, I earlier sent this reply to you by e-mail, but I thought it should be here as well for others who may encounter any related problem.

BTW I think this question (and my answer) ought really to be in the section ‘General Finale Help’ and not in ‘Finale Forum Feedback.’
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Finale has the ability to use "straight flags," and I wonder if that would suit you. It has to be document-wide, though. I did the example below to approximate a Ricordi part I was patching. I think straight flags are covered in the manual, but let me know if you need help.

These are not beams:
Attachments
0521.png
0521.png (41.98 KiB) Viewed 11282 times