Finale version before year 2011 Windows

Give us your opinions on the new forums here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Doctor
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Doctor » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Hello, I'm at charge of a Concert Music Archive of a musician who passed away in 2011, since that time we have advanced in reviewing several works of his complete catalog but now I have a big problem because, first of all, I don't know which version used his copyist but I'm sure them worked together until his death so the Finale version was, obviously, any version before 2011 and it was worked in Windows.
The problem is that when I open a .mus file through Finale 2014, many things are moved or disappear (for example, stems are not found), and many other things.
What about someone at this forum receiving a .mus file from me and Help me to convert the old version with the necessary adjustments and look, again, all at his correct place and position, or maybe take a look and guide me on this purpose. (I apologise about my bad english writing. Is there any person at this Forum that can help me writing in spanish?
Well, hope to obtain some readers interested in given me a hand.

Thanks.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:51 pm

When you open the file in Finale 2014, it should say "converting from" and give the version number the file was created with.

Doctor

Post by Doctor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:59 am

Thanks motet. When I open this "old" .mus document, Finale 2014 displays two different windows: one gives me Post Script and Screen options and the other one says: 'Converting from version: 'Finale Unkown for Windows' Do you think there are some parameter(s) that I should change at Preferences for varying the way Finale 2014 treats this old document at opening? Thanks in advance for your kind answer.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:06 am

I don't have any advice there. Perhaps it's a very old file. I've never seen Postscript and Screen options pop up. I have some Finale 2005 files that are identified correctly when opened in Finale 2014. Is there a date on the file itself?

The fact that the stems disappear and things move is not a good sign, I'm afraid. Finale is usually good about opening old files.

You might try exporting the file as MusicXML ("File" menu) then importing it again and see if that helps.

Doctor

Post by Doctor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Motet, thanks for your fast and kind response. Following your export/import XML advice, it resulted in some good changes: v.gr. stems reappeared where they were missing! I will tell you more about it as soon as a trained musician (copyist), friend of mine, takes a look at the complete Score. Till then, best and thanks again. By the way, I forgot to answer your question about .mus file date of creation: it was created by October 1994. Does it tell you which Finale version was used by that time? If by chance you can tell me which version was that, Do you think that may I have some way to find that old version and try to instal it in Windows 7, trying to adjust all about compatibility and find if I can solve and rescue part of the missing issues?

rshwin
Finale Version: FinaleV26,PrintMusic

Post by rshwin » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:11 am

Hello
I dont know if you ever solved your dilemma completely to your satisfaction. But I do think I have cd with a copy of FinaleNotepad 2007 on it. I can check to see If I still have it if you'd like just let me know.

Bob

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27

Post by Peter S. » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:14 pm

Hello,
I found some old CDs with very old versions of Finale (the oldest ist Finale 97b). You could send me one of your files and I could try to see what I could do...
Best
Peter
Finale 2009 and 27/German on Windows 10