Moderator Responses

Give us your opinions on the new forums here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

webs
Finale Version: Finale V26
Operating System: Mac

Post by webs » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:51 am

I have used Finale for well over 30 years, and have usually been able to get answers to my Forum questions.
But for some time now, I have noticed many questions with over a thousand or more views, suggesting great interest in the subject, but without a single reply.
Are Moderators finding less interest on the part of Knowledgeable Users volunteering answers to questions ?
Also, is there a point at which Moderators step in to help ?
Finally, does Notification of replies still work ?
Thank you for your assistance.
webs

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:07 am

webs wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:51 am
I have noticed many questions with over a thousand or more views, suggesting great interest in the subject, but without a single reply.
The view count goes up every time the link is clicked on. I've just increase the count on this post by 15. :lol:

So it doesn't mean that 1000 people were interested -- it could be only a few people checking the post regularly.

I don't think you can expect the moderators to reply to every post.

I suspect that Finale is losing overall market share. MuseScore fits the budget of students and schools alike. Dorico has proven itself as a modern, professional alternative (and its forums are filled with 'former Finale users'). Sibelius continues to develop new features.

MM's focus seems to be on its educational tools, with Finale all but treading water. Garritan has seen no new products or updates in 8 years.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:20 pm

As a moderator, my task is not to answer every question (which I couldn't.) It's simply to step in with a calming voice when threads may be heating up with personal attacks, or remove and ban obvious spammers.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

webs
Finale Version: Finale V26

Post by webs » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:35 pm

Miker
Thank you for your excellent and timely reply, Miker.
It has provided me with much to think about.
And please be aware ... my question was not intended to question your many wonderful contributions to Finale users. I just have never fully understood all the responsibilities of Forum moderators.
webs

AnneMillington
Finale Version: 27.3.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by AnneMillington » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:00 pm

When I have a question nowadays, I use browser search as specifically as I can, and usually come up with something to get me by the obstruction. But nothing compares to the personal touch, and I truly value mod input. I know it is a thankless chore sometimes. So here are my thanks!