Using layers - Notepad 2012

Discuss Coda's Notepad here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mwestcott
Finale Version: Notepad 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by mwestcott » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi,

I want to enter some choir music on 2 layers, one for the soprano part, and one for the alto part (I am not good enough on the piano to play it myself). My thought is that I could put one part on layer 1, one part on layer 2, and then mute one layer at a time to hear the parts separately, or leave them unmuted to hear them together.

Is it possible to manipulate the layers like that? I have not been able to figure out how to turn on and off the layers.

The tutorials suggest that there are some helpful options in the Document menu option, but mine only shows "Select default fonts" and "Display in Concert pitch."

I also tried creating a file solely for the soprano part, and another separate file solely for the alto part, and a third file solely for the combined parts. I tried to copy-paste the alto part to layer 2 of the combined parts file, and it overwrites both layers.

Is it possible with Notepad to copy-paste a single layer at a time? Can I play back one layer at a time?

I realize this is free software, but I would love to know if this is a limitation of Notepad, or if I should keep trying to make this work.

Thanks for any help!
M

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:16 am

You will need to go into the Score Manager. Once there, expand the staff, and put layers 1 and 2 on different channels. Then, you can mute them individually.

https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Not ... nName=main
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

mwestcott
Finale Version: Notepad 2012

Post by mwestcott » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Thank you! This was helpful!

I went to Window> Score Manager.
Then I expanded Piano, then expanded "Staff 1".
Then I used the M (mute) and S (solo) checkboxes to select the different layers.

I didn't have to change the channels for what I was trying to do.

I really appreciate your help!

EthanWalker
Finale Version: SongWriter

Post by EthanWalker » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:08 am

Hello M,

Notepad is a great software for basic music notation, but it does have some limitations when it comes to advanced features. However, it is possible to create separate layers for different parts in Notepad, and you can switch between them to hear the individual parts or both together. Here are the steps to do it:

Open your Notepad file and click on the "Document" menu at the top.

From the drop-down menu, select "Layer Management."

In the Layer Management window, you can add new layers by clicking on the "Add" button. Name the layers "Soprano" and "Alto."

To enter the notes for the Soprano part, select the "Soprano" layer in the Layer Management window, and then enter the notes using your computer keyboard or a MIDI device.

To enter the notes for the Alto part, select the "Alto" layer in the Layer Management window, and then enter the notes using your computer keyboard or a MIDI device.

To hear only the Soprano or Alto part, simply mute the other layer by clicking on the speaker icon next to the layer name in the Layer Management window.

To hear both parts together, unmute both layers by clicking on the speaker icon next to each layer name in the Layer Management window.

Regarding your question about copying and pasting a single layer at a time, unfortunately, Notepad does not currently have that capability. However, you can copy and paste the entire score to a new file and then delete the layer you don't need. Alternatively, you can try using more advanced music notation software such as Sibelius or Finale, which have more robust layer management and copying and pasting options.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Top Real Estate Agents in Miami Beach

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:30 pm

You realize you were responding to a 4 year-old post?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

KellyP
Finale Version: SongWriter

Post by KellyP » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:52 pm

He may not have realized that there are already new versions of Notepad 2012 :mrgreen: But I give credit to that lengthy response.Luminas