Dynamics, being random

Discuss Coda's Notepad here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

HDiddy
Finale Version: 2012 PC
Operating System: Mac

Post by HDiddy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:06 am

Hey, I"m using Finale Notepad 2012 and I'm having a few issues with my dynamics.

In one bar for example, the last two notes randomly go very quiet, so I decided to use the expressions tool to use dynamics and fix the issue. Only problem is, the only one that seems to work is fp. So I can't bring it back to a normal volume, or make anything else quiet if I wish.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:49 am

1) Since the problem is playback of the last two notes, I suspect that the culprit is Human Playback interpreting the last two notes by reducing the playback volume.

I do not know NotePad 2012.
The following is possible in the “full Finale” 2012, but NotePad may not have these playback options:

Take a look in the window Playback Controls.
Can you expand the window to show more options - by clicking on some sort of icon?
If you can expand the window, you may have access to some Human Playback settings.

2) Was this document created in NotePad - or was it created in one of the other siblings - SongWriter, PrintMusic, Finale?
The culprit might be some document data (e. g. MIDI data) that NotePad can not access.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

HDiddy
Finale Version: 2012 PC

Post by HDiddy » Sat May 03, 2014 7:08 am

Thanks for the reply, yes it was created on Finale Notepad. There's even a few more things wrong with it now I've listened too it a few more times. The decrease in volume starts on the two last notes of the tenth bar, from there the rest of the Viola is quiet even in the next bar (11) But If I start from bar 11 the volume is fine...... It must be some sort of glitch, I just have no Idea how to go about fixing it.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat May 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Expressions can affect playback.

Are there any expressions in the document - e. g. in measure 11?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat May 03, 2014 2:04 pm

You might also try copying the score into a new document. This may "leave behind" a problem.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society