Dynamic and expression markings are green and red?

Discuss Coda's Notepad here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

amy_8452
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by amy_8452 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:38 am

Hi,

I'm currently using Finale Notepad 2012 Version on Windows and every time I try to add a dynamic or expression marking they either turn green or red and every time I playback what I have put in it won't detect it. I have tried looking it up and I see things about layering but none of them are the version I'm using. If this is a layering problem, how do I put the dynamics and expressions I want into the one layer or How do I turn them into black and make them play into my piece?

I'm quite new to Finale Notepad and I'm in need of help as I need to finish my piece ASAP for my school assignment
Thanks!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Welcome to the forum.

When expressions go in, they are colored green. (I've never seen a red one.) In any case, they print black.

I just checked my version of 2012 on Mac, and the dynamic levels work for me.

Please post the file, so we can have a look at it. In order to post a file on this forum, it must be compressed (zipped) and the total size must be under 100KB.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

amy_8452
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by amy_8452 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:28 pm

Hopefully this works

I have added slurs (which are red and don't play as slurs on my windows computer) and ive also added expression tools which are green and don't play onto the piece. They don't play on my windows laptop, only the articulation works (staccato)

Thank you!
Attachments
New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip
(49.48 KiB) Downloaded 484 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:17 pm

The following description is for the “full Finale”.

Unfortunately NotePad does not have access to many of the advanced layout/playback options in the “full Finale”.
Ya gets what ya pays fer!
amy_8452 wrote:… I have added slurs (which are red and don't play as slurs on my windows computer) …
In “Finalespeak” all items created with the Smart Shape Tool are called smart shapes.

Slurs are smart shapes.

If you examine the options in the Smart Shape Tool, you will see that the settings are for layout only - not for playback.
In Other Words:
Playback of smart shapes is not something the Smart Shape Tool can do.

To get playback interpretation of smart shapes you have to use other tools, e. g. MIDI Tool or Articulation Tool or Expression Tool.

Human Playback can do a lot of the work for you.
Beware that Human Playback creates the playback interpretation “on the fly”, without writing the playback effect into the document.
The playback effect will be off when you turn off Human Playback.

NB:
In the MIDI Tool you have the utility Apply Human Playback.
This utility will write the playback effect into the document (= even with Human Playback off you will still get the playback effect)

amy_8452 wrote:… ive also added expression tools which are green and don't play onto the piece …
In “Finalespeak” all items created with the Expression Tool are called expressions.

An expression can be defined for playback.
The playback effect is defined in the Expression Designer’s chiclet Playback.

In your attached document I can see two green expressions:
1) A tempo mark - Moderato - which is not defined for playback.
2) A dynamic - p - which has playback effect.

amy_8452 wrote:… only the articulation works (staccato) …
In “Finalespeak” all items created with the Articulation Tool are called articulations.

An articulation can be defined for playback (sounding duration only).
The playback effect is defined in the Articulation Designer.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996