Playback of Score - follow-up question

Discuss Coda's Notepad here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

johnjrobertsmediator

Post by johnjrobertsmediator » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:49 pm

My Original Question:
In a score with more than one staff, how do I use the Expression Tool to playback one staff at, for example, fortisimo and another at pianisimo?

Your Response:
Are these the two staves of a Grand Staff? If so, you need to put them on separate channels.

If they are different instruments, again, they would need to be on different channels.

Follow on Question:
I'm not sure what you mean by Grand Staff. Can't find the term in the Index.
Also could not find via the Index how to place each staff or each instrument on a 'different channel' - no mention of this topic.

Back to the original question: I use Setup Wizard to enter [i.e. type in] a score for Violin 1, Violin 2 and Cello. I want to play the score back with the cello P and the Violins F. [My version of Finale Allegro is 2005.r4]. Is this possible and, if so, what do I do?

Thanks for your help

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:40 pm

Grand Staff is a split staff: think piano, organ, or harp.

Make sure that the violins and cello are on different channels. The Wizard should have done this, but you never know... take a look at the Instrument List (Windows menu).

Assuming the channels are set correctly, use the Expression tool to place f on the violin staves, and p on the cello. Playback should take care of it.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society