Lyrics

Discuss Coda's Notepad here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:49 pm

I don't seem to have grasped the way to use lyrics.

My score has SATB parts and I am trying to type into the score the words. I can get the S words in but whenever I position the lyrics cursor over another voice and try to type in the words nothing happens - no cursor appears where the first word should begin. Am I misunderstanding how this works?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:08 pm

How is your score set up? Is it SA/TB? Are S & A, and T & B in different layers? (I use 1 and 2 for each staff.)

If so, switch to the layer of the second lyric part. You should then be able to assign lyrics to that voice.

Also remember to keep track of the Verse assignment, in Lyrics>Specify Current Lyric...
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Aristotle

Post by Aristotle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:56 am

Thanks for the info.

My SATB are on separate staves with mostly one voice on each stave but occasionally more.

I did what you suggest and I can now get lyrics on other staves as you suggest. The only comment I have is that you seem to have to start a word on a note - you can't start on an empty bar. is that correct?

Thanks again

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:06 pm

Aristotle wrote:Thanks for the info.

My SATB are on separate staves with mostly one voice on each stave but occasionally more.

I did what you suggest and I can now get lyrics on other staves as you suggest. The only comment I have is that you seem to have to start a word on a note - you can't start on an empty bar. is that correct?

Thanks again
Enter rests in the blank measure, in layer 4. Attach your lyrics to the rests. Apply the staff style: Blank Notation:Layer 4. Put a real whole rest (or whatever) back in layer 1.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society