playback speed, deleting measures

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jsb

Post by jsb » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:18 am

Hi,

Two things not working as they should:

1- to delete a range of measures, selecting them and hitting Delete should work. It doesn't.

2- in Playback, there is a tempo setting-- but it has no effect: quarter = 20 and quarter = 200 (or any other number) play back in exactly the same tempo.

Suggestions?

This is PrintMusic 2011, on iMac, OS 10.5.8.

Thanks,
Ch.S.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:18 am

jsb wrote:...1- to delete a range of measures, selecting them and hitting Delete should work. It doesn't...
There are several ways to select a region.
How are you selecting the region?

To make sure that the entire measure is selected, double-click the measure.
Then Shift-click at the other end of the region you want to delete.

To delete the selected measures, hit the Backward Delete key (= the Backspace key), not the Forward Delete key.

jsb wrote:...2- in Playback, there is a tempo setting-- but it has no effect: quarter = 20 and quarter = 200 (or any other number) play back in exactly the same tempo...
My first guess would be that the culprit is an expression with playback effect "Tempo".

Without having an actual .mus document to examine we can only guess.

Could you attach a small .mus sample document that shows the problem?
Before you can upload a .mus document here, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jsb

Post by jsb » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks.

Double-clicking to select was the answer.

For my playback problem, I found the answer by experimenting: if I put a tempo marking in at the beginning via set-up wizard, something like "Allegro (quarter = 96)", it overrides anything I can do in Playback window to adjust playback tempo.

This seems to me a bad feature! For "proofreading", I would often like to listen to a passage slowly, even if it's meant to be played fast... Boo-hoo!

Ch.S.