mid-measure clef change?

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jsb

Post by jsb » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:47 pm

Surely it is possible to do a mid-measure clef change?
How??
Thanks,
Ch.S.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Not in PrintMusic. Sorry.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

jsb

Post by jsb » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:57 pm

I'm really sorry to hear this.
It's a deal-breaker, and I'll have to go to Finale.
In writing for strings, mid-measure clef changes are routine (viola, cello, bass), and not having it available is inexplicable.
Boo-hoo!
Ch.S.

jsb

Post by jsb » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:22 pm

BUT, there is a good way to fake it, if you just want it correct graphically and don't care about accurate playback.

In the Speedy frame, move notes to make a little space where you want the mid-measure clef. Then create an expression in Maestro, a single character, which is the clef you need. 24-point works well. The moveable C-clef, for example, is Shift-B. Bass clef is shift-?
There's even a weird logic at work here: The C-clef (alto clef, tenor clef) looks a bit like a B, and the bass clef looks a bit like a "?"

I'm happy to have found this fix!

Ch.S.

miker

Post by miker » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Yes, that works. But you will have to write ALL of the notes until the next change in the wrong clef. As you say, it's no good for playback. It might be easier to write the notes in the last measure before the change with ledger lines, and change clef at the start of the measure.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

jsb

Post by jsb » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:58 pm

For my purposes, what counts is the publication-- the printed output. For string players, having the change of clef in the right spot musically is important. So I'm glad to have a way to get the printed output just right. I can cope with messed-up playback. If PM made mid-measure clef changes easier I'd be delighted, but in the meantime at least there's a decent work-around. I gather from these forum posts that even in Finale, mid-measure clef changes aren't as simple as they used to be-- a pity! I stopped upgrading Finale with F2000c, which has been fine for my purposes until recently. So far, PM works for me: I haven't yet hit an absolute deal-breaker.
Cheers,
Ch.S.
PS- And let's not even think about mid-measure time-signature changes! See Bach, Goldberg Variations, #26, 9 measures from the end.http://www.finaleforum.com/forums/posti ... 15&t=10188#

miker

Post by miker » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:05 pm

I have no problems with mid-measure changes in Finale. I think the people who have the problems are the ones who haven't learned the new methods of partial-measure selection, because they haven't taken the time to read the What's New documentation.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura