multimeasure rest? percentage?

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jsb

Post by jsb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Hello,

Two more questions, as I continue experimenting to see if I can squeak by with PrintMusic or whether I need Finale...

- In PM, can I break a multi-measure rest? How?

- In PM, can I select a few measures and size-reduce everything in them, say to 70%? I want to reduce size of noteheads, slurs, etc but not, of course, staff lines.

(What I'm trying to do is take a 15-measure rest and break it into a 13-measure rest plus two "cue" measures in smaller notes.)

Thanks,
Ch.S.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Undo the mm rest, and reform it as two rests of the desired length.

The only reductions you can do are page, system, and staff. Sorry.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

jsb

Post by jsb » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks. I found Multimeasure Rests: Create/Break in Edit menu.
I had been looking for it (and, predictably, not finding it!) where it was in old Finale: Measure menu...

The inability to reduce note sizes is one more nail in the coffin: I'm going to need Finale, not PrintMusic.
Other features I need, which are in F but not PM: control over measure numbers, mid-measure clef changes.
But I'm sticking with PM for now, in hope of teasing out more differences between it and F.

BTW, I am assuming any files I create in PM'11 will open beautifully in F'12. Is this correct?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:35 pm

Yes, that is correct. 2011 files will open in 2012. The reverse is NOT true, however.

And you're doing the same thing I did: use PrintMusic until the workarounds and limitations become too much to deal with - and then upgrade!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society