cursor movement without a note entry

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

hiconcepts
Finale Version: PrintMusic Mac 2011

Post by hiconcepts » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:25 pm

I am a new user, version 2011.r2 of PrintMusic for the Mac. I have scanned every post in this forum but have not found an answer to my question. I have also looked through the User Manual.

In Simple entry, it seems that if I want to enter a new note with different duration after the last entry, which is still in red, I wind up either changing the last note, or entering a new note at a different place on the staff. Once I do that I can use my midi keyboard to enter a series of new notes.

Is there a way to only move a cursor to the next position, and then use my keyboard?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:00 am

I don't understand. When I enter a note, the cursor moves to the next space with the note. I can change the duration of that note by using the numberpad, but the note isn't entered into the score until I hit a key.

I'm using the QWERTY keyboard, not a MIDI keyboard, but I thought they worked the same way.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

hiconcepts

Post by hiconcepts » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:46 am

I am using my mouse in conjunction with the Midi keyboard.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:58 pm

Please describe your entry method, step by step.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

hiconcepts

Post by hiconcepts » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:48 am

Entry Method: I am entering into a Lead sheet. I click on Simple Entry. In that menu, I have selected Use Midi Device for input. I select a note value, say eighth note. To select a measure to write in, I click my mouse in the measure. Then I can use the MIDI keyboard for entry there. But, there is an extra note in red that results from the mouse click, which is pushed to a later position by the MIDI entries. I have learned to live with it, but It is just annoying, and sometimes confusing, to have to click a note in the measure before using the MIDI keyboard. I would really like to just have a cursor (no note attached) to place in a measure. Are there any settings I am not aware of that could accomplish that?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:14 am

hiconcepts wrote:Entry Method: I am entering into a Lead sheet. I click on Simple Entry. In that menu, I have selected Use Midi Device for input. I select a note value, say eighth note. To select a measure to write in, I click my mouse in the measure. Then I can use the MIDI keyboard for entry there. But, there is an extra note in red that results from the mouse click, which is pushed to a later position by the MIDI entries…
To select a measure - without entering a note - hold down the correct modifier key while you click in the measure.

In the Mac version the modifier key is the Option key.

I'm not sure about the corresponding modifier key in the Windows version - try Ctrl or Alt.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996