keyboard shortcut -- speedy entry

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

chipwood77

Post by chipwood77 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:40 pm

On my Mac G5, the keyboard shortcut to Arrow Tool is command shift A. Apparently, there is no shortcut for Speedy Entry tool, however. What are my options for creating one?
Mac G5
PrintMusic 2010
M-Audio Axiom 49-key USB controller

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:00 pm

To program a keyboard equivalent for a tool:
While pressing option and control, press one of the tool keyboard equivalent keys: F, G, H, J, K, L, semicolon (;), or apostrophe (').

To program one of these keyboard equivalents, press one of the keys in the middle row of the alphabet keyboard (F through apostrophe) while pressing option and control. The Master Tool Palette dialog box appears; double-click the tool you want to assign to the key you pressed. From now on, to select that tool, simply press control plus the key you originally pressed (CONTROL+F, for example).

Keyboard equivalents are document-specific. If you decide you like these keyboard equivalents, you should save them to your default file.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

chipwood77

Post by chipwood77 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:28 am

Thanks for your response, Peter, but in PrintMusic, the keystroke combination you mentioned has no effect. Additionally, the 2010 PrintMusic User Manual contains no reference to a Master Tool Palette.

How can I create a keyboard shortcut to menu for Speedy Entry?
Mac G5
PrintMusic 2010

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:50 am

Oops, sorry!
I don't know PrintMusic.

My instructions are for the "full" Finale.
Apparently PrintMusic does not have the ("full" Finale's) option of "tool metatools".

I don't know, whether it is possible to create a keyboard shortcut to a PrintMusic tool.
But I suspect that it can't be done without third party software (like e. g. QuicKeys).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:19 pm

No metatools in PM. Sorry! As Peter says, QuickKeys is your best option.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

chipwood77

Post by chipwood77 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:02 am

After substantive research, I downloaded Quickeys' trial version and have a solution for PrintMusic users. We can create one-stroke shortcuts to any of PM's most-used tools.

To create a QuicKey shortcut for a PM tool: After opening your PM document, open QK app, go to file>new shortcut, for “scopes and triggers" select PrintMusic, select the hotkey (F1 through F4 are best), click “record more”, click on open document in PM, then desired palette tool, “end recording”, collapse all steps, uncheck all steps except the last, which says “click at location…”, save and label as "arrow tool, speedy tool", etc. This is going to be a tremendous time-saver for me to have my major editing tools available at a keystroke.
Mac G5
PrintMusic 2010