Recent question about breaking beams etc

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

steven21020

Post by steven21020 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:11 am

Hi,

Thanks for all the help with breaking the beaming in Printmusic. My original post a few days ago seems to have disappeared, but maybe I put it in the wrong section?

Anyway, I tried using the / key but it didn't work. After reading carefully through some old posts, I discovered two things.

The / key DOES work but it's obviously the position of the / key on the keyboard that's important. :roll: I work in Italy and at work we use UK/USA keyboards, but at home I have an italian keyboard which has some keys in different positions. Don't get me started on french keyboards! :? So problem solved.

Also, you can use the B key as well.

Oh well, back to writing!

Steve

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:35 pm

Steve,
Your initial post was probably lost due to a glitch in the forum software. In any case, it's good that you got the problem solved. I guess the difference in keyboards is pretty often overlooked.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:19 pm

miker wrote:…I guess the difference in keyboards is pretty often overlooked.
When the user does not specify keyboard layout, we tend to assume that the poster uses american keyboard layout.

I could not see from steven210120's first post that Steve was using american keyboard layout at work, but italian keyboard layout at home.
Therefore I suggested the / key.

By The Way:

You operating system allows you to switch to another keyboard layout (using the same physical computer keyboard).
Finale is designed for american keyboard layout, and it can be convenient to switch to american keyboard layout when you are doing note entry and layout in Finale.

When you are entering lyrics in Finale, On The Other Hand, it can be convenient to switch the keyboard layout to the lyrics language.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

steven21020

Post by steven21020 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:17 pm

I could not see from steven210120's first post that Steve was using american keyboard layout at work, but italian keyboard layout at home.
Therefore I suggested the / key.
Hi Peter,

You were absolutely correct. It IS the / key.

I use an italian keyboard at home, but with american/UK (sorry, can't remember-is there a difference?) settings, so the @ key is where my fingers know it is, even if the symbol isn't on the key.

But I never use the / key so I was rather confused.

Everything is fine now.

What can possibly go wrong? ....cue sound of storm approaching... :wink:

Have a great weekend,

Steve