New document defaults Jazz Font??

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Full_Shred
Finale Version: PC

Post by Full_Shred » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm new to the forum but a long time Print Music user. I just upgrated from PM 2007 to 2011. When I open a new document I no longer see the option to create a document using the Jazz Font. All of the document styles seem to use either Maestro or Broadway Copyist. Is there a way to create a default document format using the Jazz Font? Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered; I looked but did not see a post on the topic.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:35 am

I think that Broadwat Copyist replaced Jazz. If you still have the jazz default document from 2007, you can open that in 2011 and save it as a new template.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:08 am

Full_Shred wrote:I'm new to the forum but a long time Print Music user. I just upgrated from PM 2007 to 2011. When I open a new document I no longer see the option to create a document using the Jazz Font. All of the document styles seem to use either Maestro or Broadway Copyist…
I suppose that you by the words "When I open a new document" mean "When I open a new document via the Document Setup Wizard", right?

Indeed the folder Document Styles only contains two document style files:
Engraved Style
and
Handwritten Style
(where Engraved Style uses the Maestro font, and Handwritten Style uses the Broadway Copyist font)

However, the folder Default Files contains three default files, namely
Handwritten Default
Jazz Font Default
Maestro Font Default

If you copy the default file "Jazz Font Default" to the folder Document Styles, it will be available in the Document Setup Wizard.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Full_Shred
Finale Version: PC

Post by Full_Shred » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 am

Thank you so much! You are exactly correct. I was using the setup wizard to create a new document. Using your post, I was able to locate the Jazz Font template and copy it into the appropriate folder in PM 2011. That was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the help!

ejuberg
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2011 mac

Post by ejuberg » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:13 am

Hey, I've been messing around for a while trying to figure out how to use the jazz font in PrintMusic 2011. I tried finding the file and copying it to the appropriate folder, but no luck. Could you explain in a little more detail the process?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:52 am

ejuberg wrote:Hey, I've been messing around for a while trying to figure out how to use the jazz font in PrintMusic 2011. I tried finding the file and copying it to the appropriate folder, but no luck. Could you explain in a little more detail the process?
You don't tell what you do when you try to achieve it; what happens; and what doesn't happen that you expected.

So we can only guess.

Some questions for you:
Windows or Mac OS X?
Do you have difficulties in finding the document or folder? *)
Do you have difficulties in copying the document?

*) You should be aware that there are two sets of identical folders:
- one set in the root directory,
and
- one set in the user account.

The default document for the Jazz font should be copied to the Document Styles folder in the user account.

skipsax

Post by skipsax » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:31 am

Thanks Peter! I had searched for this answer as well. Now that I have the Jazz Font Default File successfully copied into the folder you suggest, I can use Jazz Font from the Setup Wizard.

Now a dumb question as it's probably been answered a thousand times. In 2012, how do I change an existing open score and parts COMPLETELY to Jazz Font from Maestro or Broadway. Document>Set Default Music Font only changes part not all text, expressions etc.

I know it's an easy answer everybody. I searched and can't find it. I'm struggling with the Finale terminology. as I've gone from Encore to Finale to Sibelius to Finale again in the last 20 years. Probably just searching the wrong term in the manual and help file.

Thanks!
Stay well and play well.
Skip@SaxShed.com

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:41 am

Changing a document COMPLETELY to the Jazz font is not a simple task.
The problem is the chord suffixes, expressions, articulations &c. which do not "automatically" get changed to the Jazz font.

In the "full Finale" there are several advanced (plug-in and utility) options for changing fonts.
Since you are asking in the PrintMusic forum, I suppose that you are using PrintMusic?

An idea which I think will work in PrintMusic (I don't know PrintMusic):

1) Create a new document from the Jazz Font Default file.
Set up the new document with the staves you have in the "old" (other font) document.

2) Open the "old" document, and copy the music.
Insert the music into the new (Jazz Font) document.
Now the notes, clefs, time signatures &c. will display in the Jazz font.

3) To change the chord suffixes to the Jazz font, go to the dialog box Chord Suffix Selection.
Select one of the "wrong font" suffixes, and click the button "Delete".
You will get a warning that the suffix is in use in the score.
And you will get the option of replacing the suffix with another suffix.
Do so, by clicking "Select…", and choose the corresponding Jazz font suffix.

4) You can in the same way change expressions and articulations to the Jazz font.

5) You will have to change text blocks "manually", one by one, to the Jazz font (via the Text menu).

skipsax

Post by skipsax » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:57 am

No I'm in the wrong place obviously. I'm using Finale 2012. I had googled my question which brought me here. Carry on. I'll find the right place to post.
Stay well and play well.
Skip@SaxShed.com