Go To Measure # Question

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Full_Shred
Finale Version: PC

Post by Full_Shred » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Hey -

I'm working with PM2011 and I really like a lot of the new features! Can someone help me with this issue? In the Repeat Selection Dialog box, there is an option for "Go to Measure #". How can I edit the measure number? When I select that item from the dialog box, I get the text "Go to Measure 1" on the page and it is not edittable. I need to specify a different measure number.

Thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:57 pm

I don't know PrintMusic, but in the "full Finale" you can specify a Target Measure via the dialog box Text Repeat Assignment.
See the screen shot.
TextRepeatAssignment.jpg
Specify the Target
TextRepeatAssignment.jpg (44.95 KiB) Viewed 6659 times
How to get there:
In the score, switch to the Repeat Tool (if you are not there already), and double-click the handle of the text repeat "Go To Measure 1".
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Full_Shred

Post by Full_Shred » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:12 pm

@Peter Thomsen: Thanks for the hint! That's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, but it seems to be a feature of Finale that is not available in PrintMusic (unless I just can't find it). Once I select the option "Go To Measure #" from the dialog box, there is no other option to edit the text. For the time being, I just created free text saying "Go to Measure 5". But it seems like this should be a field that can be editted. Maybe it's a depricated feature in PrintMusic from Finale?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm confused. I've never really understood the "Go to Measure" selection. How is it used? Isn't the repeat barline used as the guide?

I'll be happy to play with it, if you can explain exactly what it is you want the playback to do. (play mm 1-6, go back and play 2-6, etc...)

Remember that there are many things that Finale can do, that PM cannot!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:03 pm

Full_Shred wrote:@Peter Thomsen: Thanks for the hint! That's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, but it seems to be a feature of Finale that is not available in PrintMusic (unless I just can't find it). Once I select the option "Go To Measure #" from the dialog box, there is no other option to edit the text. For the time being, I just created free text saying "Go to Measure 5". But it seems like this should be a field that can be edited. Maybe it's a depricated feature in PrintMusic from Finale?
Did you try my suggestion (Enter the "Go To Measure 1" in the score, and then - when you are back in the score - double-click the handle on the new text repeat "Go To Measure 1")?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Full_Shred

Post by Full_Shred » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:28 pm

All - Thanks for the help! When I select the "Go to Measure #" option from the repeat selection dialog box; I get the unedittable text "Go to Measure 1". When I go back into the score, the text is there and I can get a handle on it, but the only option available is delete. I just used the free text option instead, no big deal! The only reason I'm using the "Go To" option instead of a repeat is I'm trying to keep the chart to one page and the "Go To" is a shortcut to save having to add repeats or a coda.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:07 am

Then text is the way to go, for print only. If you need playback, create another file with the repeats pasted in full. That's a common PrintMusic workaround.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society