How to Show Time Signature Mid-piece

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

windexian
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2011 PC

Post by windexian » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi everyone, my apologies if this has been answered already; I couldn't locate an answer. I'm creating a method book. Many pages have more than one exercise per page, and each exercise would need to have a time signature. Since Finale sees all 3 exercises as one piece (understandably) it only marks the time signature at the beginning of the page, whereas I'd need it to be shown multiple times per page. How do I "re-show" the time signature?

Many thanks in advance --

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Measure Tool.

Double-click the first measure of an exercise that does not show time signature.

In the pop up menu "Time Signature", choose "Always Show".

When you have done this, the exercise's first measure will show a time signature.

The first measure is probably beginning a staff system, so that the previous measure (= the last measure of the previous exercise) ends the previous system.
The last measure of the previous system will display a cautionary time signature, and you probably don't want that.

Fix:
Double-click the measure with the cautionary time signature (= the last measure of the previous system).
In the Measure Attributes, select "Hide Cautionary Clefs, Key and Time Signatures".
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

windexian

Post by windexian » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Peter, thanks. When I double-click the measure, I get a "measure attributes" box, which contains one toggle for "Attributes for Measure" (which lets me pick which measure to mess with), and "Barline" options. Followed by "OK, Cancel, Help" buttons. I don't see a spot for the time signature. Any thoughts?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:05 am

You don't have that option in PrintMusic. If you are using PM 2011, I'm afraid you're out of luck. If you have 2010 or earlier, look at the article Two Songs on One Page (PrintMusic) at http://www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm. The method described there requires being able to hide staves. That was removed in PM 2011. Sorry.

Your other choice would be to create the exercises separately, and paste them as graphics on another page in a publishing or word processing program.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

windexian

Post by windexian » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 am

Ah, I wondered if that was the case. Thanks for the info. I was planning on pasting everything to Publisher anyhow, so it sounds like that might be the best way, to split up all the exercises and do the jpeg-to-Publisher route. Thanks for the help! Cheers --