Is there a tutorial for...

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bvstudios
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by bvstudios » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 am

I've just purchased and installed GPO4 (which is a very cool app) and successfully worked out how to set up Garritan to play when I select "Play as VST", and am now in the process of retro-fitting some of my earlier compositions to play through the Aria player using GPO instruments. However, (I think) I am limited to 16 parts, and thus to 16 voices only. It sounds like enough atfirst, but sometimes it simply is not.

I have some pieces that run 18 or more staves.. (My "standard" layout of flute, oboe, cIarinet, bass clarinet, bassoon, Fr Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, bass Trombone, Tuba, Piano,1stViolins, 2ndViolins, Violae, Celli, Bass, Tympani, orch percussion has 18 parts, and many times I would like to include non-standard items, such as marimbas, etc)

Is there some way that GPO VSTs can be configured so that I can set up multiple Aria players in order to get more parts?

Would another player be needed?
K M Frye
BVStudios
Victoria
Finale 26, 2014.5, 2012 Print Music 2011b, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2004, 2000,1997
GPO4, JABB3, World Instruments.
S-I drums

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Have you checked the Finale Knowledge Base?

http://makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/list
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

bvstudios
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by bvstudios » Thu May 10, 2012 2:48 am

Ahh, yes, and I also located this link over in the MM forum

(http://www.finalemusic.com/UserManuals/ ... annels.htm),

which got me over the multi instance hump, so I am now able to set up larger orchestras, which is good, but there is still a precussion issue that haunts me-

I simply cannot gert PM to play the cymbals from the notes entered on the cymbal staff.

Bass drum- check. (MIDI 10)
Snare line- Check (MIDI 74)
Triangle- check (MIDI 42)
tympani- check (MIDI 11)
Cymbals- trying (badly) to imitate a jazz drum kit instead of the notated sounds Some sounds come from about half of the lines/spaces. None are cymbal sounds. (MIDI 26)

All are on seperate staves, each set to a seperate channel in the Aria player (not worried about reverting to GM, so I have loaded them into the channels noted above). Note that the cymbals CAN be played using the Aria`s keyboard.

But when I enter a crash cymbal in PM2011, I don'tget a crash cymbal sound.. Sounds more like a low-mid tom in old-fashioned MIDI, which it must be getting from a GM setting somewhere I haven't looked...

As I said, it's probably something easy in the setup, but I'll be blowed if I can find it...

Screenshots can be posted, if they'll help. Not sure a sample file will help, but I can do that as well....
K M Frye
BVStudios
Victoria
Finale 26, 2014.5, 2012 Print Music 2011b, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2004, 2000,1997
GPO4, JABB3, World Instruments.
S-I drums