Chord suffixes and fonts in PM2011

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tonypjazz
Finale Version: Print Music 2011 PC

Post by tonypjazz » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:10 pm

I had a problem when I upgraded from PM2008, because I used to use my own font and text size choices, and I used triangles for maj7 and slashed zeros (Greek letter phi) for half diminished chords. I found I could do neither in the new version, and didn't like the Broadway or jazz fonts. Also the suffix is fixed in size, and is too small on the page for my liking.
I read several similar complaints on the forums, and so far no answer that I could find.
However, I found a way round these problems by accident and am posting the solution in the hope it may help.
You open a document in PM2011 written in your old version of PM, which has your choice of chord font and the triangles and phis.
Clear all the music, text, chords etc, and save it as a template (eg my template.ftm) in the templates file. You can change the number of bars and generally set it up the way you want.
You can then use it like any other template, and it recognises your old chord and suffix font, and the triangles and phis you put in. It plays them back correctly. I was amazed it did this, but it does, and you get the benefit of entering the chords in the new way, independent of the notes, which is a great time saver.
You do have to use the old chord suffix set (eg 64 is phi, half-diminished, and 65 is triangle, maj7) and there are fewer chords in this set than in the new one, but I can live with that.
Result!!! Hope it helps,
Tony

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Tony,
thanks for that suggestion!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society