Hiding staves for selected number of measures

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

outofthebox
Finale Version: Finale PrintMusic PC

Post by outofthebox » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:27 am

Hello,

I'd like to know how to hide a stave for just a particular number of measures. To be more accurate, I'd like to show a stave in a limited area of the score. There's a flute solo in it, I don't want to have the whole stave for just 8 bars of music. I managed to hide the staves but it applies for the whole score.

Thank you!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:18 pm

In the "Finale-speak" this is called Optimization.

The "full Finale" can optimize a score by hiding/collapsing empty staves.

PrintMusic, On The Other Hand, is not supposed to have the Optimization ability.

However, there are two exceptions:

1) Because of an "oversight" it was possible to optimize a score with PrintMusic 2010.
The next version got a re-designed tool system where it no longer was possible to optimize.

2) Today you optimize with a staff style: "Force Hide Staff (Collapse)".
PrintMusic can not create staff styles (only the full Finale can create staff styles), but if the staff style "Force Hide Staff (Collapse)" is included in one of your documents, you can use it with PrintMusic.

Disclaimer:
I don't know PrintMusic, but I seem to recall that PrintMusic can use staff styles, that are already created.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

outofthebox
Finale Version: Finale PrintMusic PC

Post by outofthebox » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:16 pm

Thank you. I think the best thing to do would be to go on Finale once and for all, cause some critical (yet essential) features seem to be missing from PrintMusic.

Have a good one,

Andreas.