mid-measure clef change

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Oscar
Finale Version: FinalePrintMusic2011

Post by Oscar » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:32 am

I'm a professional musician. Went for Finale Print Music 2011 because I believed that it covers basic piano score needs. Not to have Mid-measure clef change is just unforgivable. That's such a basic thing. That's cheating the customers.

Good bye Finale, this definitely pushed me towards Sibelius ........

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:55 am

Welcome to the forum!

In case you decide to upgrade to Sibelius or "the full Finale", don't forget to look for an upgrade offer.
You may be able to purchase the desired program for a lower price because you already have PrintMusic.

By The Way:
If you are in a hurry, consider some sort of workaround with PrintMusic.
You could e. g. add the clef as an articulation.*)
Try e. g. the Maestro font at size 18 Points.

Playback will not be correct, but at least you can get the correct layout.

*) Disclaimer: I don't know PrintMusic, and I don't know whether PrintMusic can create new articulations.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

bvstudios
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by bvstudios » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:17 am

It may not be as elegant as it could be, but with appropriate use of 8va--- or 8vb----, I've been able to effect a clef change in the middle of a bar on several occasions, always following up with a proper change at the start of the next bar. So far, my efforts have not even been questioned by any of the musicians -professional or hobbyist- who looked over or played my score. As a small bonus, in this form it also plays back as it should.

Not a deal breaker at all as far as I am concerned- a minor inconvenience until I can pony up for the full version.
K M Frye
BVStudios
Victoria
Finale 26, 2014.5, 2012 Print Music 2011b, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2004, 2000,1997
GPO4, JABB3, World Instruments.
S-I drums

HPNR-8XS82DS5
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2011

Post by HPNR-8XS82DS5 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Clef in Middle of Measure.zip[/attachment]PrintMusic won't let you put a clef in the middle of a measure, but it will recognize one if it's already there. If you scan a score in using SmartScore for example and it has a clef in the middle of a measure, PrintMusic will recognize it and use it properly. Once you have such a measure you can keep it and re-use it in other scores, as long as you don't let the clef get to the left of the measure. I keep two such measures just for that purpose. It's clumsy to work with, but you can manipulate it just like any other measure. See attached.
Attachments
Clef in Middle of Measure.zip
A bass clef in the middle of a treble clef; a treble clef in the middle of a bass clef.
(81.2 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

maltesefalcon
Finale Version: Finale Print Music P

Post by maltesefalcon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:19 am

This is only my second post but I actually had the same issue and found a workround.
Just change the clef for the next measure and enter the notes you would need. Then use the copy function and paste them into the previous measure.
It will add the appropriate clef midmeasure automatically
It works- i did it yesterday!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:41 pm

That's an excellent catch for a workaround. Thanks for letting us know about it.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society