Accidentals lost even when tied

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SBrennecke
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5.6359
Operating System: Windows

Post by SBrennecke » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:34 am

Is there some option to tell PrintMusic 2011a to actually obey the rules of musical notation in this regard? It's highly annoying that I have to keep refreshing the accidental, even when the note has been tied to one in the previous measure. It's just plain wrong to lose the accidental when tied across the bar line, but PrintMusic is doing it. And if I overlook it, it screws things up until I catch it (curse PM again), and re-apply the accidental that should have been kept.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:46 am

I assume you mean refresh the accidental on note entry. Yes, I find it annoying too, and no, there's no way around it. It would be nice if, when you enter the tie, the program automatically knew to sharp or flat the note in the new measure. You can always enter a feature request, but...

(That's the way the full Finale works, as well.)
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:33 am

I suppose that we are talking about the Simple Entry Tool - note entry with computer keyboard?

A way around it is this habit:
After finishing the previous measure, first enter the note after the barline, then add the note accidental, and finally tie the note to the note in the previous measure.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:24 pm

Peter,

Simple entry from computer keyboard is how I do it. I've gotten into the habit of using the + and - keys when I enter the note. For me, the T on the first note is easier than the Shift+T on the second.

You get get used to anything, but this is something I would like to see changed.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society