Removing Empty Staves in PrintMusic 2011

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Mr A440
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2011 PC
Operating System: Mac

Post by Mr A440 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Hello folks,

the question I have may have been covered in previous threads. I'm new to this discussion group, so I'd be grateful if you would point me to that thread or if not help me out with some solutions to this problem.

I have used PrintMusic 2004 (Windows) for the best part of a decade and have been happy with the product. I often make parts for string sections that divide into more parts than can fit neatly on one staff. When necessary I will create a second staff on which I expand the section divide. For example, I divide violins 1 into four parts for 20 bars. Parts 1 & 2 go on staff one and parts 3 &4 go onto staff two. Okay, now when I go to page view I have two staves for the entire piece, the second stave containing only rests except for those 20 bars where violins 1 split into 4 parts. With me so far?

In PrintMusic 2004 (Windows), in Page View, I would:

1. Click on Page Layout
2. select Allow Individual Staff Spacing
3. Click the Staff Tool
4. a box would appear in the bottom left of each staff
5 I would work through the piece clicking the bottom left box for each individual staff that I wanted to delete, leaving only the staves that contained the 20 bars where the violins split into four parts.

Easy-peasy!

Yesterday I upgraded to PrintMusic 2011. I have so far spent about 6 hours trying to find a way to do what I have described above, with no success! I am in the middle of a project that I was supposed to finish today. I would be very grateful for any help that the members of this forum can provide me.

Thank you,

Simon

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Sorry to bring you the bad news:
The option of hiding empty staves was never supposed to be included in PrintMusic 2004.
You have been fortunate that you have had the option in PM 2004, but…

It is not included in PrintMusic 2011.

When the Staff Tool was re-done in Finale 2011 (making it much easier to hide empty staves), the old functionality with "Allow Individual Staff Spacing" became obsolete, and was removed.

The new way of hiding empty staves did not get included in PrintMusic 2011.

Since you are in a hurry, your best option is to do the project in PM 2004.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:20 pm

As Peter said, the secret option was removed. 2010 was the last version where you could do it.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society