Scanning two clarinet parts

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Peaceful

Post by Peaceful » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:34 pm

I have a piece for Eb Clarinet and Bb Clarinet. I am trying to scan it into PrintMusic 2011a.r1
It goes through the Smart Score Lite 6 series of panels; at one point asking me to identify the instruments. I change both from Grand Piano to Clarinet (Eb and Bb was not an option) and continue. The end result is still a piano score. Following advice here I set up a new file using the wizard with the Eb and Bb Clarinet parts, and the two different key sigs. (A maj and D maj). The scan completes but makes both staves A major and I cannot change one without changing both.

How can I scan this so that it ends up with the correct instruments and key sigs?
Finale PrintMusic 2011a.r1
Windows 7

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:43 pm

Scanning is not an exact science. You probably have to just scan in the score, and make the adjustments and instrument assignments after the fact.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peaceful

Post by Peaceful » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:10 pm

Not an exact science indeed! Aside from not copying in the title, changing it to Grand Piano, losing all of the annotation...

How do I change the key sig on one staff only? If I select the staff and use the key sig tool it changes both staves.

(Here is the original project. We had a piece for Eb clarinet and needed to transpose it to Bb clarinet. What we ended up doing was keying in the notes - there were only 23 of them! I added a second staff for the Bb and copied our entries from one to the other. It worked great. It set the proper key sig for the Bb clarinet and altered all of the notes. Had it been a larger piece keying it in would not have been practical.)
Finale PrintMusic 2011a.r1
Windows 7

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:03 pm

And now you see why most of us don't bother scanning. Better to spend the time getting good at note entry.

Try this, just to see how things work:

Start with a new document, set up from the Wizard. Set it up with one flute, one Eb clarinet, and one Bb clarinet. Leave the key in C (since the flute is a non-transposing instrument.)

When the doc sets up, you should see one staff in C, one in A, and one in D. No need for you to change key signatures. If you change the key on the flute staff, the others will change as needed.

Enter a series of notes in the flute staff. Select that staff, and drag the notes to the other two staves. they will automatically transpose.

You would do the same thing with those notes on the piano staff.
Attachments
transpose.png
transpose.png (177.34 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society