PrintMusic 2010 "crashed"; wierdly???

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:10 pm

I've been off and on here I'll bet over 10 yrs, but still have a problem getting good with my my real Finale, so I've been getting over 99 pct satisfaction from my PrintMusic 2010, but yesterday a weird thing happened and it's totally UN-usable. When I boot if up, it only shows a framed white, TOTALLY white screen [but only a corner of it, approx 8 inches x 5 inches] in the lower left corner of my computer, showing the UPPER right corner of PrintMusic.... NON responsive to ANYTHING, so thus cannot edit a song that I need; I KNOW you'll say to use my REAL Finale, but that only brings up MORE questions [laughing at myself] so I'm hoping there is a way I can upload it again from your Finale site, or if I'm doomed, or if you've experienced this and have an easy fix?

Did I say I've re-booted PrintMusic several times [it doesn;t respond] and re-booted my computer several times and the mystery screen in the lower left corner comes back every time.

To be clear, I LOVE PrintMusic, and it keeps me and my fellow musicians 99.9 pct happy.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

LarryR
PC; Windows XP
Started NotePad 5/19/10, then
Got PrintMusic this evening; 5/24/10

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:50 pm

Have you recreated the preference file?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:07 am

You may laugh and/or chuckle in kindness, but I've never seen/read nor used the word "preference" in Finale nor PrintMusic, so I'll read up on it.

But trying to imagine what you're saying is that I should be looking around the "help" areas to see how to re-create the preference file. And since my PRINT MUSIC 2010 won't come up, but only a white screen, I'm presuming that there is a way to RE-CREATE it, after I find it....

So any more hints/guidance would be helpful.

Thanks,

LarryR
PC; Windows XP

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:22 am

Can you grab the mystery window with the mouse and move it? Do you have the original PrintMusic media to reinstall it?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:23 am

These instructions are about another problem, but the instructions are the same.
Q My settings are not being saved from session to session. What can I do?
A If your settings are not being saved, you can trash the program's Preferences file in order to create a fresh new one.
1. Find the “PrintMusic Preferences” file found in the Library/Preferences folder. Drag it to the Trash.
2. Empty the Trash and Start PrintMusic. A new preferences file has been created.
To further protect your PrintMusic Preferences file...
1. Quit PrintMusic.
2. Locate the “PrintMusic Preferences” in the System folder > Preferences folder.
3. Drag this file into your PrintMusic folder on your hard drive. Here the preferences will be a little safer.
This is from the Printmusic 2010 Documentation

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:18 pm

Can you grab the mystery window with the mouse and move it? Do you have the original PrintMusic media to reinstall it?

No, the plain white "frame" is stuck in the lower left corner, showing it's upper right corner, and is DEAD; can't grab it, and any clicking on it results in a sound that says, "you can't do that", or "I won't budge, nor respond". tonight I'll try the procedure mentioned above.

But the ORIGINAL DOCUMENTATION? I got it in May of 2010 and THINK that I simply downloaded it on line..... not sure.

Thanks,

LarryR
PC; Windows XP

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:25 pm

Larry, here is your Manual.

https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Pri ... 1612380855

Also, you can go to the Finale website and log in. Go to My Account > My Software and you can download a new copy.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:56 pm

If the PrintMusic window is off the screen, resetting the preferences won't help (that information is stored in the Windows registry), but it's worth a try. Reinstalling should fix the registry.

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:05 am

I followed all the procedures to download again. It took me through the steps, then, no icon on the desktop [except the former one that is not functioning]. I know how to "search" for files by name, by date, here and there..... but NO new files showed up. That means to me it didn't download.

I've no time this weekend, probably, but wanted to update my helpers.

I'm thinking that the existing program is interferring with the proper download and am tempted to delete the whole existing program to start over, but I HATE TO BURN BRIDGES.... so am hesitant..... your thoughts?

And THEN another idea, download the program from Finale's PrintMusic site onto ANOTHER computer...... ???? [of course I'd have to transfer a LOT of files but I can live with that.

Thanks for all your help..... hope to be back to music on Monday.

LarryR
PC; Windows XP

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:24 pm

NOTHING WORKS so far..... downloaded from finale site, is shows the downloading HAPPENING, but a file search shows NO NEW FILES.... and the mystery blank screen is still there. And no, it's can't be grabbed nor moved, and clicking ON IT just gives me a bleeep saying "you can't do that"........... so I'm considering two alternatives.... it'll bake me some time as my life is generally a "wreck" but I might try to download it from the finale site onto another computer.... don't know what they'll do to me... try to get me to pay again???? hope not.

Second thing is to FORCE MYSELF to use my GENUINE FULL FINALE program.... been struggling with that for years and AM NOT EFFICIENT with it..... so I'll promise to try hard NOT TO BE A PEST..... but I'll use the Finale HELP button to learn as much as I can, but SOME simple things? Ijust can't get through my head..... which site should I go to? Finale Beginners? I'm not shy, so that's where I think I'l go. I also have the Finale Berklee Press Book..... you may chuckle at my easy questions there but I really wanna do Finale.

I'm LOST without my Print Music 2010 as I've gotten very efficient with it, and am LOST WITHOUT IT.

Thanks for understanding.

LarryR
PC; Windows XP

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:08 pm

You might need to consult with a Computer repair shop to have your system checked. Maybe there are disc errors or other issues interfering with proper operation.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:57 pm

i can understand your thoughts and I thank you....... and though I've thought of that I use this same computer daily, prob 2-5 hours a day, and all else works great.... use use the internet a lot AND use MS Exel so much I fear it may wear out [kidding].... really use interbetm youtube, auto forums, emails galore...... etc, and all works well..... I'd enjoy your thoughts after reading this.....

Thanks,

LarryR
PC; Windows XP