sustain pedal notation

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BLUJAZBOB
Finale Version: finaleprintmusic2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by BLUJAZBOB » Sun May 01, 2022 7:02 pm

Hi. In my piano performances, I strategically rely on the sustain pedal. On the ending of a song I’m doing, the last chord is dissonant, with the pedal down, and with ties, the chord is held, but then later during the sustain, the pedal comes up to resolve. How I notated it, is to change the dissonant note back to neutral during the mid-tie. In the notation, it looks correct, but I know how to do it. I don’t know if someone else could follow it, and the playback won’t do it correctly—it wants to forget the tie and play a second chord. Is this simply a glitch in the playback,or is it data input error? Also, different subject----I cannot find how to do brushes on a snare in a drum set.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:38 am

Please post a screen shot.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

BLUJAZBOB
Finale Version: finaleprintmusic2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by BLUJAZBOB » Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:45 am

Hi, I’m back, picking up where I left off last May. I see the Finale software hasn’t been opened since May 22. You asked for a screen shot of the sustain pedal problem, and here it tried to be, but it would not copy and paste off of the Finale score, but this text did. Does it need to be some other sort of attachment? I cannot figure out a better way to notate how the dissonance is resolved on the last note, with ceasing the E natural, in the middle of the tie, but Finale forgets the ties, and plays it as a new chord. But in my catching up with Finale after so long, new problems have arisen: the score will not even play back. Since this software hasn’t been opened in 6 months, no setting got directly changed with that, but I may have messed with some other audio settings in the computer. I use Audacity in conjunction with Finale and it plays back fine, along with any other program with sound requirements, including playing music CD’s (putting the drum set parts from Finale into Audacity is fabulous---better than any drum machine I have used). When looking at other parts of the forum, I see that no playback is a common problem after taking a few months off. And then in following some of the tips, a cascade of other issues sprouted, such as the document options dialog box will not open, nor can I change the font size in chords. Could it be I just forgot all these things? I have been using Finale since 2002.