Install Maestro Music Font

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Eupher
Finale Version: Printmusic 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Eupher » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:29 pm

Greetings, all!

The back story - I purchased Printmusic 2002 back in 2002. Used it for a while, then my wife upgraded to Finale 2011. I have both discs with the serial numbers.

As a trial, yesterday, I downloaded Notepad and began engraving a piece which looked as I expected. Saved the file and exited the program.

But I decided to upgrade to a more current version of Printmusic, since the computer I had it on is long since gone. Upgrade efforts failed, probably due to age of Printmusic 2002 (Makemusic also likes to make money -- go figure), so I purchased Printmusic 2014 (the current version) yesterday.

Windows 11.

During installation and authorization of Printmusic 2014, I got this message:

"The Maestro music font is not installed. It must be installed from the original CD."

ETA: In calling up the piece I had started engraving in Notepad, there was a ghostly image of what I had done, but it clearly showed that the Maestro font was missing. It didn't look completely like hieroglyphics, but close.

There is no further information about installation of the suddenly-missing Maestro font. Again, engraving that piece in Notepad looked fine until I saved my work and closed the program.

Apparently, the developers just automatically assume that users know how to install music fonts (this Maestro font is default, I believe) from a very old 2002 application over the more current 2014 application. This makes no sense to me.

I've spent literally all day yesterday fussing with this and I'm beginning to get the idea that Makemusic is forcing me to "upgrade" to Finale, which is horsepower I simply don't need. Assuming, of course, that the Maestro font would be installed in Finale.

Can anybody shed some light on this mystery?

TIA
Last edited by Eupher on Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:38 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I suspect that you can download the music fonts (just the fonts, as a font pack) from MakeMusic’s web site.

Have you tried that?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Eupher

Post by Eupher » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:46 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:38 pm
Welcome to the forum!

I suspect that you can download the music fonts (just the fonts, as a font pack) from MakeMusic’s web site.

Have you tried that?
Thanks for your quick reply. I have looked extensively on MakeMusic's web site and I see no indication of being able to download anything other than the notation software itself. If it's there, it's hidden pretty well.

Eupher

Post by Eupher » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:51 pm

I believe I found it -- but not through MM's web site. I used DDG to find it. Here's a hint, MM developers -- if you offer downloads, why not make that more visible?

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... nformation

BTW -- still no information as to how actually to INSTALL these fonts. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Eupher

Post by Eupher » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:09 pm

After convincing my virus protection software that MMFonts (Windows Installer Package) was not malware or a worm, I "installed" the software after downloading by just clicking on it.

It whirred and chunked and told me it was installed -- but no dice. My engraved piece still looks like something out of Egypt.

This is what happens when software developers assume that users know how to install stuff.

Fail.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:47 pm

You might want to contact MM customer support by filing a support ticket. It's very unusual that installing PrintMusic didn't install the fonts. Have you tried reinstalling PrintMusic? You might need to right-click on the installation file and pick "Run as administrator."

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:10 pm

Support for PrintMusic expired many years ago.

If you have installed the font on your computer, you may have to tell PM to use it. I don’t remember the procedure, or even if you have the option of changing the default music font. Too many years ago; sorry. But look in your PM help files, and see what it says about the music fonts.

If you’ve lost the manual, look here: https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... 5002894667
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

motet

Post by motet » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:39 pm

You mean they sell it but offer no support?

Eupher, 2011 was a good version. I still use it occasionally on files created with that version; it runs fine on Windows 10 and likely will on Windows 11, too. Why not just use that? You can install it on three machines, I think. Any files you generate can be opened by later version of Finale, should you ever want to do that.

miker

Post by miker » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:47 pm

Motet, IIRC, Print Music only allowed two authorizations. Remember that a lot of things you can do in Finale, you couldn’t do on PM.
motet wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:39 pm
You mean they sell it but offer no support?
As far as I know, that’s the case. I could be wrong though. If they do, then there is no reason not to support Finale back that far. In fact, as of two days ago, they no longer offer support for F26 or anything earlier.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

motet

Post by motet » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:20 pm

I was talking about abandoning Printmusic for Finale 2011, but I could well be wrong about 3 installations.

miker

Post by miker » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:13 pm

motet wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:20 pm
I was talking about abandoning Printmusic for Finale 2011, but I could well be wrong about 3 installations.
A misunderstanding. Let’s wait for the OP to straighten us out!
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

Zivio
Finale Version: Print Music 2011

Post by Zivio » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:47 pm

I too had this issue after doing a PC reset to reinstall Windows 11 and then Finale Print Music 2011. This is a pretty late response to this thread, but I figured out how to fix my installation and stumbled upon your question here.

On my PC, the Maestro fonts were found in the folder: C:\PSFONTS\Pfm

To install, you need to copy/paste ALL files from C:\PSFONTS\Pfm to C:\Windows\Fonts folder. You should be prompted "Do you want to install ..."

Next, do a reboot and it should work! Hoping this reaches you in time to help.