Sustain pedal information is not recorded in PrintMusic 2009

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jcsilva

Post by jcsilva » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:23 am

I'm using PrintMusic 2009 with HyperScribe.
I record my music and all of the notes are there...
But when I play it back there is no sustain.

Is there a seting that I need to change?
I have selected MIDI -> Human Playback -> None.
And MIDI -> Play as Recorded.

Why won't it capture and playback the sustain information?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

-jcs

TWW
Finale Version: 26.1 PC
Operating System: Windows

Post by TWW » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:46 am

I fear the answer is "Yes, that's right."

PrintMusic's HyperScribe tool is designed to speed entry of notes, including rhythms, for those with sufficient keyboard skills to do real-time entry. The pedal is ignored, as is velocity information, and just about everything else except note-on and note-off information.

Thus it's no surprise that pedal information is not recorded. When you need to notate pedals, dynamics, and articulation, you have to do that manually.

The thing to bear in mind is that PrintMusic is just a notation program, and not a full-fledged sequencer. (Come to think of it, it's not even a half-fledged sequencer.)

Addendum: after a little experimentation, I learned how to add pedaling: in the Expression Tool, add text for "Ped." or "Pedale"; also add text for a plain old asterisk "*" to signal lifting the pedal. Human Playback will honor those, as long as you are using either Romantic or 21st Century playback styles. (Classical and Standard won't recognize the asterisk, so the pedal stays down forever.) Looks like this is one of those things we gotta get Full Finale for if we want it to work well.
-Tom Williams
Finale 26.1, Finale 2012