Cyrillic font problem in LYRICS tool

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

alexeisadovnikov

Post by alexeisadovnikov » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:04 am

I use FinalePrintMusic2010 on PC with Vista OS.
I want to type russian text using lyrics tool. I made proper selection in "Document" -> "Select default font" menue (see picture FIN2), switched keyboard into russian and start typing. I can see russian letters while I typing, but when I hit spacebar to move to the next note, the typed text turns into ?? symbols (see picture FIN1). How I can fix this?

Related problem: I can type russian text using "text" tool (see left text entry on picture FIN3). However, when I cut-and-paste russion text from other document (say, Notepad of MSword), text becomes un-readable (see right text entry on picture FIN3).

FINALE's HELP recommens to open "Lyrics Tool" --> "Edit Lyrics" menue. However, there is no "Edit Lyrics" option in my version.

ANy idwas how to fix this?
Attachments
FIN1.JPG
FIN1.JPG (11.83 KiB) Viewed 15023 times
FIN1.JPG
FIN1.JPG

CuriousInOhio

Post by CuriousInOhio » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:31 am

Privyet Alexie -

I have worked with Russian fonts in Finale for several years. In my work I make sure the correct Cyrillic fonts are installed in my Windows system folder with all of the other fonts available to me. I have never experienced what you describe although there are some odd behaviors which I work around.

For example, punctuation while using the Cyrillic alphabet doesn't seem to work as I expect it to. I leave out punctuation while composing the texts for my work. Usually words are divided into syllables. In languages other than Russian (or other Cyrillic languages) placing the appropriate hyphen is easy. While using Cyrillic fonts however, I set aside, at the end of the Russian text, a hyphen in a western font of the same size. I then copy and past that western font hyphen next to the Cyrillic text which is split. I can't demonstrate it exactly here, but here is an English example:

To- day

I sincerely hope this helps you and addresses your concern!
Michael Malloy
Bachelor of Music, Ohio State University, 1978
Lead trumpet U.S. Navy Bands, 1966-1970
Columbus, Ohio

CuriousInOhio

Post by CuriousInOhio » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:44 am

*** *** с *** *** в *** в *** *** ***. В * работе *** ***, что *** *** *** *** в * папке *** Windows со *** *** ***, *** *** ***. *** *** не *** то, что *** ***, *** есть немного ***{***} ***, *** *** работаю вокруг.

***, ***, *** ***, ***, не работает, *** *** *** это к. *** не *** ***, *** *** *** * ***. *** *** *** на ***. На *** кроме русского *** (*** *** *** ***) *** соответствующего *** ***. *** *** *** однако, *** ***, в конце *** текста, *** в западном *** того же самого размера. *** тогда *** *** *** того западного *** *** *** с *** текстом, *** ***.
Michael Malloy
Columbus, Ohio

alexeisadovnikov

Post by alexeisadovnikov » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:59 am

Michael:

What is "right cyrillic font"? I can use cyrillic in dozen complex applications installed in my computer. I can use it in FINALE TEXT tool (but not in cut-and-paste mode). So, the problem is in LYRICS tool.
If you have an idea, can you tell me where I can get this "right cyrillic font"?
As expected, FINALE support is useless.

Alexei

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:51 am

I downloaded the Times Roman Cirilica font from http://www.serbianorthodoxchurch.net/mi ... index.html

It seems to work correctly for lyrics in PM2010 on Windows XP. (Sorry, I don't know Russian. I typed in abcd efgh ijkl, and this is the result.)
Attachments
russian.JPG
russian.JPG (8.13 KiB) Viewed 14975 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

CuriousInOhio

Post by CuriousInOhio » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:56 pm

Alexie -

By "correct" font I mean something that will work in word processing. I am vaguely aware of fonts used only on the Internet but I don't use them. I'm no expert so please have patience with me as I try to explain.

I checked my font folder just now. All of the Cyrillic fonts I use are "TrueType Font Files." I tried Vista and hated it so I went back to Windows XP Home Edition. I'm not sure that difference could effect the use of fonts.

Why not look into your fonts folder in your PC and see if the Cyrillic fonts you use are there and are TrueType Fonts?

If you happen to know of a good Church Slavonic font for Windows I would love to know where to get it. The fonts I have of that type are all incomplete and therefore useless.
Michael Malloy
Columbus, Ohio

alexeisadovnikov

Post by alexeisadovnikov » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:58 pm

Michael:

Serbian fonts do not help because there is difference between serbian and russian languages.
I downloaded another TT cyrillic font that improved situation a little bit.
I found that if I do not switch keyboard into russian (i.e. it remains an English keyboard) and type letters in LYRICS tool, they appear as latin symbols during typing but then turn into correct cyrillic letters after I move to the next note (see attached file: first group - what I see after typing in "English" keyboard and AFTER moving to the next note, second group - what I see after typing using "Russian" keybodard, third group - what I see DURING typing using "English" keyboard)). Technically, this solves my problem but it makes the process of typing and correcting the text very incovenient becasue I do not see what I type!
You recommended serbian font acts exactly the same way.
Attachments
FIN4.JPG
FIN4.JPG (10.65 KiB) Viewed 14953 times

eaks

Post by eaks » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Alexei

I'm experiencing the same problem as you did and I'd like to know if you found a solution or, if not, what is the font you ended up using?

It is an extremely frustrating situation and I need to find solutions fast!

thanks for your time,
Ets

alexeisadovnikov

Post by alexeisadovnikov » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:45 pm

Ets:

Default PrintMusic fonts do not work - FINALE admitted this. I managed to find font called "Cylillic-normal" (I do not rememver the name of website). Now I can type cyrillic text using "EN" keboard if I set this font as default.
I few weeks ago I switched to full FINALE - the font also works there.

eaks

Post by eaks » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:09 pm

thanks for your answer!

I found the font and installed it. I've set the lyrics font in finale and managed to type a word in proper format. However, when I hit spacebar to type the next word, the cyrillic letters turn into casual text.

ex: здесь turns into: pltcm

any thoughts?

thanks again!

eaks

Post by eaks » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:58 pm

ok finally it works! I dont know why but it started out not working so I just reclicked on the already set font parameters and now it works.

However, I tried with another cyrillic font and it didnt work. At least the apparently dangerous (according to mac osx) cyrillic-normal works!

However: after I manually reset the noteheads fonts to engraver, they display good, but when I enter notes, I see no noteheads or weird symbols so it's a bit of a guess each time being sure I enter the right pitch...I just know afterward when I move on to the next note.

any hints about that?

thanks again!