Remove Time Signature

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Rexwei

Post by Rexwei » Sat May 08, 2010 11:46 pm

I have to make several cantuses for a school project, and I wouldn't need time signatures. However, Finale Printmusic 2008 wouldn't allow me to remove time signatures.

Can anyone please help?
Rex

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun May 09, 2010 5:12 am

You can only hide the time signature in the full Finale. Sorry.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Rexwei

Post by Rexwei » Sun May 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Really?? That's so unfortunate. Thanks.
Rex

master-of-none
Finale Version: finale printmusic 20

Post by master-of-none » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Is there no facility in printmusic 2011 PC to notate a psalme without having time signature rules automatically applied? If I try to work around by adding up the time values of the notes and setting a time signature of say 21/4 ; I seem to get breves broken up into shorter values and slurred? As a poor church mouse I hesitate to starve for a month so as to pay for an upgrade....

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Simply, no. PrintMusic does not have the ability to hide time signatures. Sorry.

But I'm not sure what you mean by your second point. I've never had any problems with the 21/4 method. (Although it does leave all those odd time signatures showing.) Can you post a document that shows what you mean? You have to compress it, and it must be under 100mb.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

master-of-none
Finale Version: finale printmusic 20

Post by master-of-none » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Thank you, Miker.
Rooting around a bit more it seems that, if I count out beforehand the number of crotchets in the long bar and set the numerator of the time signature accordingly, it then works as you suggested (bars 1 & 2 in my example). What went wrong with my small project I think was when I had already filled in a long, odd bar with the arrythmic set of breves, semibreves and crotchets and found I was short of room for a given note value, if I went back and changed the time signature to reflect this, the system then tried to apply some kind of underlying regularity and produced something like you see in bar 3 or the attached example.
We can live with the eccentric time signatures so problem solved to a reasonable level of satisfaction.
Don't understand the offspring-rejection whereby "*.mus" files are not welcome to be uploaded into this forum....
Attachments
Psalm example.JPG
Psalm example.JPG (47.45 KiB) Viewed 8816 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:11 pm

master-of-none wrote:…Don't understand the offspring-rejection whereby "*.mus" files are not welcome to be uploaded into this forum…
It is "just one of those things", I suppose.

However, you can attach a .mus document here.
The secret: before you can upload a .mus document, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996