Mixed time signatures

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:11 am

I set my music up with 4/4 for starters.

Then I use the time signature box to change them., I have a real big mix of 2/4, 3/4, and 4/4 time signatures, and they change back and forth a lot thru the whole song.

Now in scroll view, I want to "copy" that, and paste it at the end in another key; I have no problem with the key change thing, so that isn't the question. The question is, WHY does it translate everything to whatever the original time signature is/was on the last measure of what I copied? ie, why does it not "paste" the time signatures as I copied them? why does it change it to something I don't want with all kind of ties scattered all over the place, and in the WRONG time signature?

OK, so to fix this, I go ahead and prepare a "bed" downstream having all the time signatures prepared BEFORE pasting, but that is a LOT OF WORK, ha.

Am I missing a convient method?

thx,

LarryR : )
PC; Windows XP
Started NotePad 5/19/10, then
Got PrintMusic this evening; 5/24/10

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:26 am

Very similar question; that's why I left it in this same thread.

OK, DIFFERENT situation, but I still start out with "setting" my "original" time signature to, say 3/4. whole song is 3/4.

Now I need to add ONE MEASURE of 2/4 in the middle somewhere. I choose the measure, do the time signature icon/box and yip, it changes that measure BUT it changes EVERY MEASURE downstream of the whole song to 2/4; I only want to "insert" ONE 2/4 measure.

ie, the method I'm using DEMANDS that you don't change your mind; you've got to do 30 measures of 3/4, then one measure of 2/4, then 27 measures of 3/4 again; no mind changes allowed?

thx,

PC; Windows XP

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 am

When you change the time signature, in the window, you have 3 options; the first one is to apply it to a measure range, which can be limited to 1 measure. See image.
Attachments
time.jpg
time.jpg (44.85 KiB) Viewed 8924 times
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:26 pm

Larry,
I'm not sure what's happening. I tried it in PrintMusic and in Songwriter (both 2010) and time changes carried through in copy/paste, drag to copy, and select/CTRL+click. (However, I remember this being an issue in the past for me, so, out of habit, I do what you do: I "prep" the new section before copying. But I'll try it without, now.)

Can you post a document for us to look at?

Please add the program you're using to your signature, in the forum Control Panel.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:24 pm

michelp wrote:When you change the time signature, in the window, you have 3 options; the first one is to apply it to a measure range, which can be limited to 1 measure. See image.
I've been cheating myself; Wow......... I've been "selecting" the measure[s] and then right clicking, and I see all those great numbers there, so I click the one I want................ but NEVER, NEVER, NEVER did I even TRY to click that top line [edit time signature]. And it gives you WILD stuff; 13/4 7/4 3/16 etc. That does the trick for me now for "inserting" a range of time signature changes.

I'm responding because another beginner might benefit from this.

To top it off, I've been breaking 7/4 stuff into a 4/4 and 3/4 measure to "accommocate" PrintMusic when I never HAD TO. I've even re-written stuff from 3/2 to 3/4 because 3/2 didn't show up on my "right click".

So a BIG thanks for that.

Old man LariRudi here reminding myself and us all that "we learn something new every day".

And this has been causing me mild distress all these months; for no reason, ha.

PC; Windows XP

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 pm

If things are the same in PM as in the full Finale, I think right-clicking (while in the time signature tool) and selecting a time signature applies it to the rest of the piece. It is thus more useful in your case to go through the time signature window, which offers many more options.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:47 pm

michelp wrote:If things are the same in PM as in the full Finale, I think right-clicking (while in the time signature tool) and selecting a time signature applies it to the rest of the piece. It is thus more useful in your case to go through the time signature window, which offers many more options.
Yes, that is what I was trying to say after I tried your suggestion. VERY useful compared to what I WAS doing.

Now if I can get my first post question under control, I'll be "overjoyed". I'm still trying.

thanks again.

PC; Windows XP