Adding non-existing instrument (eg alto flute)

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

pagophilus

Post by pagophilus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:43 am

Is there a way to add an instrument which is not in the list, for example an alto flute, to the set of instruments available to choose from when creating an ensemble/setting up the document?

Leo Hamulczyk

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:30 pm

I suppose that you are talking about creating a new document by using the "Document Setup Wizard"?

The wizard uses the text files in the folder "Configuration Files".
You can edit these text files in any word processor.

To add an instrument (e. g. alto flute), edit the file "instrument.txt".
NB: the file is quite big, but you should also take a look at the bottom of the file where you can find lists with "score groups" and "score order" for all the instruments.

To add an ensemble, edit the file "ensembles.txt".
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:I suppose that you are talking about creating a new document by using the "Document Setup Wizard"?

The wizard uses the text files in the folder "Configuration Files".
You can edit these text files in any word processor.

To add an instrument (e. g. alto flute), edit the file "instrument.txt".
NB: the file is quite big, but you should also take a look at the bottom of the file where you can find lists with "score groups" and "score order" for all the instruments.

Does that procedure only add the "name"? How will the "sound" be produced then? or does it not?

I'm asking because I have the same question. How to add an Eb Alto Horn? In order to get quick "transposition", I simple add a staff of Eb Alto Sax, and I'm well satisfied with the notes, but on playback, it isn't real. [An Eb Alto Horn is brass and kind of sounds like a smaller "Baritone"]

Oh, does PrintMusic2010 have this folder, "Configuration Files"? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

LarryR : )
PC; Windows XP
Started NotePad 5/19/10, then
Got PrintMusic this evening; 5/24/10

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:29 pm

OK, I found MY list in "Component Files". not "Configureation Files"?

Now it IS a long list, and somewhat complicated. It takes a little more than simply "adding an instrument" name. Curiously enough, MINE already HAS an Alto Flute, shown as follows:

qqqq

[INS:Alto Flute]
Name = Alto Flute
Abbr = A. Fl.
useKeySigs = 1
Transposition = -5
StaffType = standard
Clef = treble
Patch = 73

qqqqq

PC; Windows XP

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Larry,
That shows Patch 73, which is a piccolo. Is that the right sound for an alto flute? (Just asking.) Remember that adding a new instrument won't necessarily give you the correct playback.

The same is true for your alto horn. You could set it up, to show in the lists, and give you the proper staff and transposition, but unless you have a sample of the horn, you can only use the sounds in GM or VST that Finale gives you.

(And don't ask me how to use outside samples, because I have absolutely no idea! :shock: )
Last edited by miker on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:I suppose that you are talking about creating a new document by using the "Document Setup Wizard"?....................................................
The User Manual continues to puzzle me, and sometimes I just plain don't understand, I'll admit.

Yes, my Setup Wizard DOES show "Create New Ensemble" but it never allows me to "save" it on the list of "ensembles" as the User Manual suggests; I copied that paragraph here:

qqqqqqqq
If you would like to begin with a preset ensemble, select it in the left list box. Choose Create New Ensemble to design the instrumentation from scratch when you advance to the next page. The next page of the Setup Wizard also allows you to edit the ensemble chosen here, as well as save new custom ensembles.
qqqqqqqqq

I see from what you say, that I can "create new ensemble" by going into the ensemble TXT DOCUMENT, but I'd love to do it from the Setup Wizard as the User Manual offers.

thx,

PC; Windows XP

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:14 pm

miker wrote:Larry,
That shows Patch 73, which is a piccolo. Is that the right sound for an alto flute? (Just asking.) Remember that adding a new instrument won't necessarily give you the correct playback.
I don't know; I'm not an expert on flutes, but I DO KNOW that a piccolo is MUCH higher in tone than a normal flute; I've seen and heard Alto and Tenor Flutes, and they are generally "lower" in tone, rather than higher.

But you DID answer part of my question; the sound comes from definging a "patch"........... although I don't know WHICH patch to use in my case. [notice it was the other person that opened the topic on "flutes"].

But I found it noteworthy that mine ALREADY has it.

[edit; ok, RE-reading your post, here is my suggestion to the flute originator; use the patch for FLUTE, not Piccolo, and for ME, I'll use the patch for Baritone/Trombone for my Eb Alto Horn [they ARE in the same general "family" [I'll get bombarded on this because I'm "stretching the truth a little for practicality, and I'm a practical guy] I'll check the alto flute sound using patch 73 and I'll have a better response. you people are teaching me a LOT........... albeit sometimes indirectly; making me adventerous, too].

PC; Windows XP

miker

Post by miker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:20 pm

I think that the "Saving a custom ensemble" thing is an error in the documentation. PM generally doesn't let you do sensible things like that.

Remember that you can always save your ensemble as a template, though. Just not in the list.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:35 pm

I should have done this FIRST before my previous note. My "alto flute" in "Component File" shows patch 73 which is FLUTE, whereas patch 72, as you stated is a piccolo.

So now, if I'm not getting all tongue twisted,
Piccolo is a 72
Flute is a 73
and as I suggested, ha, Alto Flute is a 73...... and I agree with their choce of a 73 for an Alto Flute.

Now to FURTHER complicate matters, when I discovered and rejoiced that "mine" "already HAS" Alto Flute [in the txt Component Files] I find that it does NOT SHOW in my Setup Wizard.............. hmmmmm.

I'll PM you on ANOTHER "side issue" relating to patches, and significance of GM "numbers" on the Instrument List.

thx,

PC; Windows XP

miker

Post by miker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Go back to the instrument.txt file. Scroll way down, until you come to the groups (GRP) Find the [GRP:WW] You will see the flute. Just add in the Alto Flute, and the =x.

Save the file and close it, and restart PM. Alto Flute should now show up in the woodwinds group of the Wizard.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura