Fitting staves nicely on a page

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:23 pm

I don't know what to call the "spaces", so I can't find it in "Help"; I'll search more after I know WHAT to search for.

OK, so sat I have 10-12 staves; I extract parts; I have three trumpets. I want to print those three staves on one page; they fit easily, BUT,

They end up three "sections" [systems]? The first being near the top, and I know how to shift IT up/down/left/right, and the third near the bottom, but the SECOND "system"? is so VERY close to the lower three staves, and FAR FAR FAR from the top three staves, that it is not "pretty"... when I play around with it, I might mess the whole page up, the staves overlap each other, and many weird things happen.

IE, the top system is near the top, bottom system is near the bottom, but the MIDDLE system is WAY TOO CLOSE to the bottom system.

Everything I do is quite usable, so I've not tried hard to solve it yet.

But now I feel it's time I learn to "pretty it up"

[oh, I think I've gotta learn what that space IS between the staves between the systems and sets of staves? my jargon is not learned yet.

thx,

LarryR : )
PC; Windows XP
Started NotePad 5/19/10, then
Got PrintMusic this evening; 5/24/10

LariRudi

Post by LariRudi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:40 pm

I added a photo here

http://s1032.photobucket.com/albums/a40 ... pacing.jpg

If it doesn't show, just go to LariRudi and look for "FinaleStaffSpacing".

thx,

LarryR : )
PC; Windows XP
Started NotePad 5/19/10, then
Got PrintMusic this evening; 5/24/10

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:59 am

Larry,
Page Layout Tool>Right click>Edit System Margins. The number you want to fool with is Space between systems.

Oddly, this number is the space between your selected system and the one ABOVE it. At least, it's counter-intuitive to me.

Play with that number, and see if it helps you understand the spacing.

Remember CTRL+Z is your friend! If something goes south, and it will, click OK to get back to your score, and UNDO.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society