Double bar-lines

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

WendyEileen

Post by WendyEileen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:00 am

I am trying to find out how to insert double bar-lines between notes 3 and 4 of a measure. According to the music theory on the internet (I'm sure I was taught it, but it is long forgotten), double bar-lines only are to occur between measures or at the end of a song. However, when I try to insert a double bar-line in PrintMusic it only replaces the single measure line with a double. I also have Allegro and so I've tried to figure it out on there too, just in case it isn't a PrintMusic feature. Help? :shock: (This is me after spending too long trying to figure it out!). Thank you!!!!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:54 am

If you want to insert a double barline inside a measure, I see 2 ways to do it (hoping they work in Printmusic):
1) create an expression/shape representing a double line. Use the shape designer to do it. Actually, there is a simple double line available in the default file. Duplicate the expression, and copy/paste the first line next to it. These lines have the height of the staff, I think.
2) Divide the measure in 2 measures (ex: instead of 4/4 : 3/4 and 1/4. You'll need to insert a measure and redefine the region as 3/4, 1/4 (Time signature tool). You can hide the time signatures (measure tool, time signature : always hide).
Then, with the Measure tool, add a double barline at the end of the 3/4 measure.
Miker will confirm whether or not this is possible in Printmusic.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:00 pm

If theory says they only go at the end of a measure, why are you trying to insert them in the middle of a measure?

What version of PM do you have? Up to 2010, you could add this with the expression tool, as Michel says. In 2011, that expression was removed. (Yet another downgrade!) You have to draw it in with the line tool.

Michel's second suggestion won't work in PM.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

WendyEileen

Post by WendyEileen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks for your help. It took me awhile to figure out how to make the double bar-line expression (Maestro font, then "/" key), but eventually I got it to work. And actually, (according to those who know more theory than I do), the double bar-line goes between measures only... and PrintMusic (I have 2011) only lets you replace the main single measure bar-line with the double bar-line, it doesn't let you put it between a measure. I didn't register that about drawing in the double bar-lines.. maybe if I'd tried that it would have gone faster! Thanks again for your help!!!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:49 pm

Wendy,
Glad you got it figured out. But you are misunderstanding the terminology. When they say it goes between measures, that's just what it means: you replace the single barline, with a double. What you seem to be asking for is to place one WITHIN a measure - between barlines, not between measures.

And in fact, the references I checked say that a double barline should only go between measures: if you need one mid measure, it should be a dotted double barline.

You might want to look at this: http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory3.htm#bars

You can do it, as you've found, but it requires a workaround, not uncommon in PrintMusic. Well done.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ernesto1956
Finale Version: 2009 Mac OS 10.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by ernesto1956 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:57 am

Wendy,

I'm wondering about something. Are you by any chance referring to a caesura, which is a mark used to indicate a pause between two notes, and occurs inside a measure? And the two lines are slanted? See attached image. This symbol is often referred to as "railroad tracks." When you mentioned using the slash-key (/) that made me think that perhaps this is what you are looking for.
Attachments
caesura.jpg
caesura.jpg (71.85 KiB) Viewed 12867 times
Finale PM 2009...Mac OS 10.4.11