Second verse lyrics with different rhytm

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

NinadeBoo

Post by NinadeBoo » Sat May 14, 2011 3:56 am

I was wondering if there was a way to enter a second verse of lyrics that has a somewhat different rhytm than the first verse. Up to now I have been trying to 'force' the words under the existing notes and rests from the first verse, and sometimes I just add words that don't fit anywhere as plain text rather than lyrics, but is there a better way?

Is it possible in Printmusic 2009 to make notes in a second layer a different size, for example, so you can enter the second verse as smaller notes in a different layer?

Thanks!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat May 14, 2011 4:55 am

Not easily. PM will only let you resize pages, staves, and systems. You can do a workaround by putting in the other notes with the expression tool, but they will move around as measures reflow. Your better alternative might be to use two notes, tied together (2 eighths, instead of a quarter, for example.) If that gets too confusing for the singers, just write the repeat out with the changes.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

NinadeBoo

Post by NinadeBoo » Sat May 14, 2011 7:53 am

Thanks for that, Mike. Does the full finale allow resizing of individual notes?

Not sure what you mean by adding them with the expression tool. Do you mean as a series of grace notes?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat May 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Yes, the full Finale allows resizing notes.

Grace notes might work, but I was thinking of creating an expression with a smaller note, and placing it as needed on the staff. Print only, of course, no playback.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society