Some silly questions

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

NinadeBoo

Post by NinadeBoo » Tue May 17, 2011 4:55 am

Recently my Finale Printmusic 2009 started doing some silly things that make me think I just have a wrong setting somewhere... I just can't figure it out!

When I'm using the page layout tool I can drag a system up, and when it reaches the page margin and there is enough space on the previous page, the whole system just flips to the bottom of the previous page. If there isn't enough space on the previous page, it just stays sitting at the top of the page, under the margin outline. This is how it has always worked, and what I want it to do.

However, sometimes when I drag a system up, I can drag it to above the dotted page margin line and even completely off the page. Only when the whole system is off the page does it flip to the previous page, where it will cover any music that is already there, rather than just nicely slotting into place below the previous system. Does anyone know what causes this?

Another thing I've been battling with today and just can't seem to fix is that sometimes the "horizontal space before Coda" box in the create coda system dialog box is greyed out, meaning I can't enter a number and it also won't break the staves before the coda. What causes this?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue May 17, 2011 2:32 pm

First thing to try: restart the computer.

Does this happen in all documents?

Have you tried starting with a different template, just to see if the problems persist?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue May 17, 2011 2:36 pm

First thing to try: restart the computer.

It sounds like something in the page setup.

Does this happen in all documents?

Have you tried starting with a different template, just to see if the problems persist?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

NinadeBoo

Post by NinadeBoo » Wed May 18, 2011 4:32 am

Ah, I had kinda hoped the answer would be something like "you forgot to select this specific setting" :)

No, it doesn't happen in all documents. Shutting down the program or rebooting the computer doesn't solve the page layout problem once it has occurred in a document. I can usually work around it by C&Ping the whole thing into a new document, though, but unfortunately this then erases all the formatting I'd already done.

For the Coda issue I found out that it happened for this one specific bar after I'd added a coda system and then deleted it because I'd entered the wrong values. I then couldn't add a new coda system to that bar with a break in the staves, but I could add normal codas to any of the other bars. I ended up working around that by adding a new, blank measure stack and adding the coda system to that measure, and then deleting the empty measure.