Notation Questions: Martellato, Layer connection etc.

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

wilsonwilson1

Post by wilsonwilson1 » Sat May 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Hey people,

like the headline says, I have 6 questions (also I show you examples):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chN3b-WQmik

In this video, there are 6 things that i want to know.
The first one is right at the beginning. There is only one line. Normally there are two lines (because it's a piano) but the two lines follow later. I just want to know how to change between those two.

The second thing is the martellato-technique @1:16. How do you do this? How do I reverse the stem so it's in the middle or is there another way?

The third thing is @1:33 in the left hand. How do i split it like that? There are 2 layers but they are somehow connected to each other, because each layer would be incomplete.

The fourth thing is @1:50 in the second line. The key changes within the measure. I didn't even slightly get a hint to that.

The fifth thing is @4:03 in the last line the right hand. There are at the end of the first measure 5 thirty-seconds, and not 4. Also there does not stay quintole (a 5).

And the 6th thing is not in this video. It is just a basic question. How do i change the layer or more detailed: I want 2 layers, i change to the second layer, but how do i change back to the first?

That's it for now.

I hope you can answere all those question.

Thx for help :)

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat May 21, 2011 8:30 pm

It's simple. Most of what you want to do, you can't do in PrintMusic.

If you have PM2011, you can't hide individual staves (although you can, in earlier versions) you can't do cross-staff notation, you can't do mid-measure key changes.

You can do what look like incomplete layers by using rests, and hiding them.

You can enter the 5-32nds in the space of 4, and hide the number.

You can change the layers a couple of ways. Watch the videos, about multiple voices.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

wilsonwilson1

Post by wilsonwilson1 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:48 am

so it is not possible to do this in other finale versions also? Because wikipedia says g.henle verlag is using finale as well (but i don't know which finale) and they did publish islamey by balakirev.

Warren Barnett

Post by Warren Barnett » Sun May 22, 2011 2:29 pm

No, he is saying that you can only do some things in PrintMusic, but you can do everything in the full Finale.

By the way, how would any pianist possibly memorize that? I know, repetition, repetition, repetition.
Warren Barnett

Finale 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.01
Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3
Garritan Concert & Marching Band 2
Garritan World Instruments
Garritan Steinway Piano Basic Edition
Tapspace Virtual Drumline 2.52

wilsonwilson1

Post by wilsonwilson1 » Sun May 22, 2011 3:12 pm

oh ok thx :)

btw, somehow they all do. i think you need alot of training memorizing all this.