Cannot edit lyrics PrintMusic 2007

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

RevJATB
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2007 PC

Post by RevJATB » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:49 pm

I have a piece I've been working on for some time. I recently made some changes to some of the parts that required removing some of the lyrics. The problem is, I cannot edit any of the lyrics, and it doesn't matter what layer I'm in. I've tried saving the file under a different name but that didn't help. When I go into Type Into Score, it will let me add new lines of text but I cannot access any of the existing lines. This has never happened to me before, and I've edited lyrics countless times. Can anyone help?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:21 am

Indeed you should be in the right Layer, but you should also be in the right Verse (or Chorus or Section).

The Selection Tool can be a good help when you don't know, where an item was created.
Try this:
From the Selection Tool, double-click the lyrics you want to edit.
PrintMusic will take you to the right Layer and Verse.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

RevJATB
Finale Version: PrintMusic 2007 PC

Post by RevJATB » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:24 am

Thank you! That worked. Edit complete.

Selassie3
Finale Version: wondow 7

Post by Selassie3 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 am

Hi,

I'm transcribing music for a 4 part acappella choir and have chosen to have the 4 voice parts on 4 separate staves for ease of extracting the parts a bit like Mike Rosen does for his Barbershop Chorus. I need to have lyrics against each part for the extraction, and I wondered if there was any way to select and copy lyrics from one part to another. I can do it with the notes ok, I select, copy to another part and then "move" that part from one layer to the other but I can't find anything similar for lyrics.

I did a quick search on the forum but couldn't see a similar question recently - even a simple "not possible" is fine and will stop me wondering!

Thanks,

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:27 pm

Not with PrintMusic. The way I would work around it (although it's too late for you now) would be to enter one line with the lyric. Then, copy that line to another staff, and use the repitch tool to change the notes for that voice. The full Finale has a filter that allows copying the lyric only.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society