Volume label syntax incorrect

Discuss Finale Songwriter here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

saxsoother
Finale Version: SongWriter 2010
Operating System: Windows

Post by saxsoother » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:01 pm

New to the forum. Using Songwriter 10 and Windows 10. I'm also using a copy of the program which I had saved on an external drive and now have back on my computer. The saving of the program was just a guess on my part and the present "problem" is not unexpected. The program will open, I can work with notation, but can't save. The notated files I had saved as a separate folder cannot be opened either incurring the message: "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect". The program is considered a legacy program so "official support" is not available.
I did read one commentator on a forum that suggested all Windows users should learn quickly how to fix this problem. Unfortunately, I don't know how that's done and inquiries usually end with some website suggesting they'll fix something if I buy their app. Not going to happen.
I'd be happy to read a solution to the syntax problem and for respondents taking the time.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:57 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not 100% sure that a program that old will run on Windows 10. Did it ever work properly? I could find no listing for Songwriter beyond windows 7, and the current system requirement guide says that SW is no longer available for purchase. So I would suspect that you're out of luck.

Saving a program to an external drive, and copying it to the computer, is not the same as actually installing it. In a true installation, files are put in a number of places.

If you purchased the program from MakeMusic, you may be able to redownload the installer. Check your account, which will have all of your purchased and registered programs.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:47 am

Right click on the program icon and choose Properties and then Compatibility. Try setting it to Windows XP, for example, or let Windows analyze what it should be set to.

miker

Post by miker » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:36 am

Thanks, Motet. I keep forgetting about the Compatibility settings in Windows.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

saxsoother
Finale Version: SongWriter 2010

Post by saxsoother » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks Miker and Motet for your suggestions. I've tried all of the suggestions and I'm settling on the verdict "that I'm out of luck". Nothing ventured........
I'm wondering now if the files that I have can be opened by the Finale PrintMusic program? After a review of the program, I'm not sure if my notation files can be opened. Suggestions are welcome.

miker

Post by miker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:54 pm

Yes. You will be able to open any of your 2010 files with any version of PrintMusic NEWER than 2010. So if you got 2014.5, you would be fine.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura