Remove coda?

Discuss Finale Songwriter here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

boatofcar

Post by boatofcar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:54 am

Is there any way to remove a coda once you've added it? I put it a couple measures ahead of where it should be.

jazzwriter

Post by jazzwriter » Sat May 23, 2009 8:05 am

Try clicking the text button "A". Then go to the coda sign/text and right click and you should see the little handles (boxes) which will enable you to delete. I think you can also use the measure tool to delete the bar containing the coda itself.

I have a lot of trouble with coda layouts in Songwriter as it sometimes produces totally unexpected/unusable layout results (like off the page or compresses measures on top of each other. Sometimes. I have to create a new piece with the Coda signage first and copy in measures around it.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat May 23, 2009 1:58 pm

I'm a little confused. Songwriter won't do useable codas, like PM and up. You would just delete or move the coda sign.
So what program are you using? That will help us give you more directed help.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

jazzwriter

Post by jazzwriter » Sun May 24, 2009 7:35 am

Songwriter does do a useable coda system, it's just that sometimes the results are not what's expected in terms of layout and, once it's confused, you seem to need to start again with a blank manuscript.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun May 24, 2009 1:52 pm

jazzwriter wrote:Songwriter does do a useable coda system, it's just that sometimes the results are not what's expected in terms of layout and, once it's confused, you seem to need to start again with a blank manuscript.
Could you tell me how you are doing it? I see nothing in the Knowledge base or SW help files. Coda isn't even listed in the index.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

jazzwriter

Post by jazzwriter » Mon May 25, 2009 12:08 am

If you click MassEdit, after you have selected a measure, one of the options is "Create coda system". This popup has a few options like DC al coda, DS al coda, "To Coda" text and the measure in which you want it. It creates a break and it helps to add the "To Coda" in the same operation (ie do it all at once) because if you go back and try to add this later, you can end up with a doubled up mess.

Sometimes this works ok, other times you end up with stave lines running right off the edge of the page, locks placed on layout lines which results in some measures being compressed and overlayed, or other nonsense.

I know this is only the cheap version ( I only want to create small group lead sheets) but the coda results can be quite poor for a commercially- packaged system. Not sure how they could sell any version without "Coda" functionality. But, otherwise, for the money, it is a bargain and sure beats hand-written sheets so I am happy to work around where necessary.