How do I group notes?

Discuss Finale Songwriter here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Zenabvi916

Post by Zenabvi916 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:34 pm

I'm transcribing a piece that has many [b]different times signatures[/b] and when I have a time such as 9/16 or 7/16, the 16th notes are all separated. How do I group the notes together so it's all together easier to read? HELP!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:11 pm

With SongWriter, you can do it, but it's a pain. Select the SECOND note of the pair, and hit the / key. This will beam it to the preceding note (or notes.) Unfortunately, you can't preset or automate this in SW.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Zenabvi916

Post by Zenabvi916 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:36 pm

thanks

RAc

Post by RAc » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Zenabvi916 wrote:I'm transcribing a piece that has many different times signatures and when I have a time such as 9/16 or 7/16, the 16th notes are all separated. How do I group the notes together so it's all together easier to read? HELP!
I have a similar problem: I have a piece written out in mixed 16th and 8th notes in 2/4 meter. I'd like to regroup the 16th notes, for example like sketched in the attachment (upper half as Finale would do it, lower half as I'd like it). In effect I need to regroup the stem connections. The / key doesn't do anything (is that a problem with an international keyboard layout); if not, is there any other way, or is that a feature beyond the scope of Songwriter?

Thanks!
Attachments
mlrphrase1.jpg
mlrphrase1.jpg (9.34 KiB) Viewed 13609 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:05 pm

This is a feature way beyond "the scope of Songwriter":
You will need "the full Finale" to do that.

The attached example was done in Finale.
Attachments
BeamOverBarline.gif
BeamOverBarline.gif (3.98 KiB) Viewed 13608 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

RAc

Post by RAc » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks for the answer. But what about the / business? If I understand miker correctly, that feature supposedly does something similar? In my SW version, highlighting a note and hitting / does not do anything. What would it do if it did anything and how do I get that to work?

Thanks!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:21 pm

In SW2010, if you select the SECOND note of a pair, hitting the / key will either beam or unbeam that note to the previous one. If you don't get that result, it may be an international keyboard issue. In that case, contact MM tech support to see if they can tell you which key to hit. (or just try them all!)
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:00 pm

RAc wrote:Thanks for the answer. But what about the / business? If I understand miker correctly, that feature supposedly does something similar? In my SW version, highlighting a note and hitting / does not do anything. What would it do if it did anything and how do I get that to work?

Thanks!
This particular example (by Scott Joplin, I presume?) represents a special problem since you want a beam over a barline.

The / key trick is for beaming inside a measure only.
Hitting the / key won't give you a beam over a barline, not even in the full Finale.
My example was done in Finale, not by hitting the / key, but rather by using a special workaround.

RAc

Post by RAc » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:44 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:
RAc wrote:Thanks for the answer. But what about the / business? If I understand miker correctly, that feature supposedly does something similar? In my SW version, highlighting a note and hitting / does not do anything. What would it do if it did anything and how do I get that to work?

Thanks!
This particular example (by Scott Joplin, I presume?) represents a special problem since you want a beam over a barline.

The / key trick is for beaming inside a measure only.
Hitting the / key won't give you a beam over a barline, not even in the full Finale.
My example was done in Finale, not by hitting the / key, but rather by using a special workaround.
I understand that. But could I at least do the first bar regrouping using / ? If yes, how? As mentioned, I tried using / with that very phrase and it didn't do anything for me.

Yes, astute observation. It's the Maple Leaf Rag.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:27 pm

RAc wrote:...could I at least do the first bar regrouping using / ? If yes, how? As mentioned, I tried using / with that very phrase and it didn't do anything for me...
Are you using Speedy Entry Tool or Simple Entry Tool?

In the Simple Entry Tool you can see the keyboard shortcut by examining the corresponding menu item:
Simple menu > Simple Edit commands > Modify Entry > Break/Join Beam
The keyboard shortcut is displayed in the right side of the menu item.

In the Speedy Entry Tool:
Speedy menu > Speedy Edit Commands > Break/Join Beam

And remember you must be on the second note of a pair.

RAc

Post by RAc » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
RAc wrote:...could I at least do the first bar regrouping using / ? If yes, how? As mentioned, I tried using / with that very phrase and it didn't do anything for me...
Are you using Speedy Entry Tool or Simple Entry Tool?

In the Simple Entry Tool you can see the keyboard shortcut by examining the corresponding menu item:
Simple menu > Simple Edit commands > Modify Entry > Break/Join Beam
The keyboard shortcut is displayed in the right side of the menu item.

In the Speedy Entry Tool:
Speedy menu > Speedy Edit Commands > Break/Join Beam

And remember you must be on the second note of a pair.
ok, great! On my keyboard for some reason it maps to #, and that worked.

Thanks for the quick help!